smoking clothes???

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by ybohunt, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I have heard about a TV hunter smoking there camo so it can't possibly work right? Kinda funny some consider this a new fad like others have stated natives did it thru the ages. I bet if primos or WGI started producing a liquid smoke scent and a TV hunter endorsed it the lemmings would buy it.

2. fanofdo

fanofdo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bang on. There have been products for years that smoke clothes - much like a smoker for bee hives.

Scent Smoker Scent Elimination System scentsmoker ..

For anyone interested, the web site explains why they feel the smoking works.

There have also been threads on this subject in other sites over the years.

I won't debate here if it does or doesn't work - I will state that at $30, there isn't enough margin to sponsor TV shows. There are plenty of very good products and alternatives that people don't hear about because they aren't paying for a TV show. Add to that, even if these companies wanted to advertise, the 'scent control' advertisers would possibly threaten to withdraw their support. They carry the bigger stick due to their larger budget. The last thing they want is someone spending $30 once rather than a multiple of that for every piece of clothing.

rut n buck likes this.
  3. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Works quite well, had some good success with it this season being the first time trying it out. I smoked up before every sit at my house in the yard or drive way then put camos and gear in bags or tote. Got dressed outside when at my spot...Had several deer through out the season come in dead down wind of me and yes while knowing something is up and smelling the smoke, not bugger once and just kept on their way in a relaxed state. Was truly amazed how affective it was. I use a Bee Hive smoker with hardwood wood chips and shavings.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  4. John 6:47

John 6:47 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last season was my 1st year to try it and I have nothiing but good things to say about it. I use a bee smoker and hang my hunting clothes on a line and smoke them before each hunt. I don't recommend wearing smokey clothes in your vehicle as the smell lingers in your vehicle. When scouting or walking through the woods I'll just pick up several small dead sticks or punkwood to fill up a box for future use. I will continue to use my smoker again this year but I also use scent away products on my body and do my best to stay down wind of game.

5. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been reading on smoking for awhile. Actually a few years ago at the land and wildlife expo at grand ol opry in Nashville I ran into these guys and thought it was a really good idea. Deer constantly smell smoke w/o any danger present. It easily overpowers most other smells, w/ the added benefit of fresh activated carbon.
    That being said I have two questions.
    1) I click on the links posted here to their site and all I get is a go daddy page, typing it in also gets me the same results. Does anyone know the actual name of the company or there web address?
    2)Has anyone ever taken the smoker to their stand for extra scent concealment/heat? A little extra heat would Be nice on those brutal cold winter days.:nana: Thanks, Jimmy.

6. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    I personally went to their site last year, but once I found the same exact "Bee Hive" smoker on ebay for so cheap I just went that route instead...in terms of smoking up on stand, I never have and wouldn't want to take that risk of starting a fire I couldn't put out...sounds pretty dangerous.

Here is the scent smoker FB page though:
    https://www.facebook.com/ScentSmoker

I can't find their actual site right now like I did in the past, just google Bee Hive smoker or even check out eBay and Amazon...you can pick them up very inexpensively.

7. OzarkLuke

OzarkLuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
  8. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    between campers and forest fires, deer smell smoke all the time and it doesn't spook them... also covers body scent to some degree.. never on purpose smoked my clothes, but never worried about sitting around the camp fire at night in my hunting clothes.. and have had deer come in from down wind the next day... so seems to work I guess

9. PSEFreakAR

PSEFreakAR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard it for years, and some ole timers swear by it for sure.

10. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    It def works....my doe from last season came in and my wind that particular day with the rain was swirling horribly. I was in a set that was pretty high 25 ft, and I was hoping with the thermals it would pull my scent upward. With the swirling winds she came in and her nose was working like crazy! If you watch my video (Below-she comes in at the 1:45 mark) you can see her smelling like crazy and putting her nose to work! She def knew something was there (the smoke smell), but was not alarmed, boogering, or spooking. Deer do not associate the smell of smoke with "DANGER" as they do human scent. She continued on her way and turned broadside persenting herself to me at 21 yards and the rest was history. All other times through out the season where I had deer come in down wind of me all did the same, but none busted blow and jolted out of there... they just continued on their way, cautiously.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I smoke my clothes in the bradley smoker with apple wood chips but ya gots to be careful cause on da way into da stand in da dark a big ole buck came up behind me and bit me in da behind.

12. littlewolf

littlewolf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, what is the reason for doing it late season only?

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ I would like to know as well if you are around Sota

Boomerang likes this.
  14. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing Sota is saying late season because that would be a more common time to smell smoke from wood burners, camp fires, etc.?? That would be my guess anyways.

15. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good point!

16. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But in the country(I'm a city boy) there's wood burning stoves going all the time when it gets cool in the fall, correct? That would desensitize deer I would think(but I'm no buck)
    Seems legit, but this might kill the bs cover scent industry.

17. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Officially joining the smoking club. Just ordered my smoker. Figured for the few bucks it costs to try...worth trying. I'll do it in the early season till I get some confidence in it.

18. Killemquietly

Killemquietly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think you're dead on. Fire is really cheap and once you own it you own it.

Trappers have smoked their setups since time begin. I remember seeing in a survival book from the 70's about passing a homemade torch over snares for much higher success. I believe it has to work.

19. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it works great but you need to do it every hunt.

20. ThwackMaster2

ThwackMaster2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with afflicted has to be every hunt but I still believe you need to play the wind and shower with scent free stuff