Smoking clothes for cover scent

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Oct 25, 2020.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys wanted to get some input from other hunters who may use or know someone who uses smoke on their clothes as a cover scent. I have been seeing articles and hearing people talk about using the little smoke boxes that bee keepers use to smoke their clothes before going into the woods. I am trying to get some peoples opinions if this helps at all and what type of material do you prefer in the smoke box? Everything I have been reading and videos I have been watching show people using pine straw to get the fire started then they put wood chips in to help stoke the fire and generate smoke. I am just trying to see if there may be a certain type of wood that works better than other such as cedar, hickory, oak woods chips etc... I know playing the wind is always advised and your best bet I am just wanting to try something new to try to up my odds on shooting a good deer this season. Thanks in advance

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a hive smoker for about five, six years now. I don't start smoking my clothes until the weather turns cold and people out around my property start using the fireplace. It works, well. I've had plenty of deer come in downwind of me and they may be a little more alert it's rare they blow out.

JHasty likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just light a small fire and stand in the smoke.

JHasty likes this.
  4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No way on Gods green earth am I taking $500 worth of clothing and smelling them up with smoke ... while some say it helps, Ive know others to STILL get winded who have done so .. I keep mine clean and only hunt locations when the wind is favorable, I have over 40 locations I can always get into for any wind .. not to mention that damn smell that lingers and lingers ... nope, wont do it ...

JHasty and Garrett Godlewski like this.
  5. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    psh, only $500!? i must have a spending problem.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think smoking hunting clothes is the newest fad right now for dealing with human scent. It probably works as well as Ozonics, who's results are questionable.
    I was watching a hunting show that advertises/promotes Ozonics. On this particular show they were after a very large buck, who they had actually named, because of his size. Well, this big buck comes out right in front of their blind at about 20yrds, for what would have been a slam dunk shot. He was directly down wind of them and as soon as he reached their odor stream, that buck took off for the next county.
    The hunter looked at the camera man and said "how could that have happened"? So, I guess the moral of the story is nothing works 100% all of the time. Take your chances.

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been smoking my clothes for years. The carbon from hardwood smoke kills bacteria from sweat. I sweat a lot from my long walk-ins. I still hunt by the wind direction. Just my personal preference. gives me a bit of confidence.

8. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My grandpa and uncle used to smoke their clothes and camo. They were doing it back in the 80’s. I’ve never tried it but a buddy was burning leaves in his yard and out walks a 130 inch buck. He shot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHasty and Swamp Stalker like this.
  9. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I figured every house/cabin in the woods sends smoke into the woods. Deer are used to that so they may not spook.
    I’d rather smell smoke than B/O or perfume any day.

JHasty and Swamp Stalker like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I worked wildfire for 20 years longest I went without a shower was 14 days. When you sweat out over a gallon of water in a 16 hour shift you would think one would smell like a goat, the smoke and ash does neutralize body odor. Then again I never had time to sit in a stand while on a fire detail, but smoke does get rid of stink.

11. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO ALL cover scents are a waste of $/time.

Walk into an Italian restaurant. Take a good whiff. What do you smell??? Garlic - oregano - the hostess' perfume. Which scent covered what smells??? None. You smell many thing in 1 whiff. What would a deer smell?

JHasty likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say smoke works as well as doing a scent free shower, you still have to play the wind.

OhioHunter72, JHasty and Longdraw like this.
  13. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "I smoke clothes, but still hunt the wind" ..... LOL ...... 'nough said .. I wash and hang my clothes, hang out side, keep 'em clean, use sprays/shampoos and STILL hunt the wind .. btw, I dont have that damn smoke smell on me either .... lol ...

JHasty likes this.
  14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Must be awesome always doing everything your way, the right and only way. A lot of people join forums to see what others have learned and gain from it. Not you though, you already know it all so why bother hanging out on the forum with all of us idiots?

I still smoke my base layers. My outer layers and boots never leave the farm and hang in separate areas. But then again, I'm a man that can take the smell of smoke and not turn into an all out wuss.

As much as you like to piss, moan and always claim you're right.. you sure sound like one them pink hat wearing liberals

JHasty and jonderrs7 like this.
    0317 dislikes this.