Smoker recipes...post em if you got em!

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Slugger, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking the same thing. I did do a roast the other day. Had an itch so rubbed with the coffee rub again and tossed it in with whiskey chips. I knew it would be mine to eat and wife wasn't having so kept it nice and bloody like I like, think just got it up to 130 in like 2 hours. Very tasty.
    Just picked up a second chest freezer and should have a quarter cow in the next few days and a half pig shortly too. There will be some more action for sure then. I've been hitting a few projects hard since weather has been cooperative and realized 6 weeks til baby is due and time will be tough and tons to do by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had roast and few things thawing in fridge to make up. Those will have to wait. At hospital now, had checkup/ultrasound with wife. Numbers are up so pending labs in a few hours could be having baby 5 1/2 weeks early. If not tonight will be almost for sure in morning. Kind of holding pattern killing time between checks and keeping mind occupied

3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to mention too. There's a forum I've checked out on occasion Smoked Meat, I found. Lots of good info there too.

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it boys hopefully get to smoke something soon. Picked up tons of meat. Also added some Kansas city touch of cherry rub to my arsenal.

5. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally getting back to things too. There was complications and stuff with our little guy but all is good now and worked out. That and other stuff kept busy so took a break from online stuff besides quick skimming through.
    I've been neglecting my smoker bad. Only did one pulled pork in last few months, otherwise grilled a few things but mostly whatever is fast and convenient.
    Just rubbed the pork and some molasses, smoked at 250 or around for I think 12 hours and got to 190 or so. Pulled beautifully and tasted great. Hoping to do again soon. Missing smoked dinners as often as had been doing. Did try pickles on the smoker too. Injected with Franks red hot then smoked for an hour and seared up the outside on the grill. Tasted good fresh. Personally I liked the cold leftovers best. Smoke and sauce flavor seemed to come out great then. Cut up and dipped in ranch was great. Saw the recipe somewhere and had to try. Probably will do again when I remember to pick some up
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, after a long, mouth watering night last night, reviewing all of these posts, I woke up this morning and tried my hand at my first "beer can chicken." I based the chicken with Dijon mustard, as we were out of original and spiced it with Cajun Injection Hickory, all purpose salt, fresh ground pepper and sprinkle of Rosemary. 5.5lbs chicken, smoked for 2.5 hours at 260 degrees. Turned out great and enjoyed it with a good friend today at work. Next on my list is brining and injecting- two different chickens at the same time to taste the difference.

7. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a roast I did a few days ago. Was going to crock pot it but couldn't pass up the smoker. Just used coffee run and a Jack Daniels bbq sauce I made, smoked about 250ish for 2or3 hours. Coulda went longer to fall apart or shorter like I usually try, but hunger took over any plans to wait. Little tough but tasty, so got to enjoy each bite longer.
    Also did eggs for an hour or so one day. In the shell so doesn't get tons of smoke but subtle. Gonna try boil & peel then little time one of these days too. Heard that works good

8. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I screwed up reading thi right before bed. My stomach is growling. I will need a snack to go to sleep.

9. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    ^^That made me laugh

10. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's one of the best things with a tough well flavored roast or steak, each bite can be enjoyed for quite a while instead of chewed up and gone quickly :)

11. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have any smoker recipes for deer back strap?

12. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never tried smoking any venison yet. I think I saw one before. If I come accross any again I'll try and remember to post it on here. Hoping to try some this year

13. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thought I'd resurrect this one again.
    With how well deer season has been going beef roast is what's for dinner tonight. Was at SAMs club the other day and wanted to try a different roast. Rubbed with salt and coffee rub and olive oil, started the smoker around 225, but with wind and inconsistencies it varied from 200 up to way too high at 350. Few batches of mesquite chips on, 4 1/2 hours smoke. IT was about 140 when I took it off and it was in the oven on warm for a few hours. Some slices and slabs. Pretty tasty and should make some great sandwiches for a few days. Definitely gonna do again. I was planning cooler and rarer as usual, but no complaints for it how it came. Hopefully price is the same and can get more. Nice chunk of beer overall.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I should not have come back to this thread. Now I am hungry. Need to pull the smoker out soon!

15. Mr. Jiggers

Mr. Jiggers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In this video, I walked through the process of smoking salmon caught during the Fall river run. Salmon can be caught throughout the year in Lake Michigan. Anglers who don't have a fishing boat can cross paths with various salmonoids during the Fall and Spring river runs.

16. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  17. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Always a good day when the smoker gets pulled out!

18. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad I found this thread again. So much good info in here!