Smart Wool Merino Baselayers

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by cantexian, Jan 21, 2020.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I received a top and bottom set of these for Christmas in the 250g. These base layers are worth every penny. My parents live in Calgary, Alberta. I wore these base layer under the normal snow clothes I have worn for several years when visiting them. The coldest temps were down - 18C or -4F. These are thinnest and warmest base layers I have ever worn.

This past weekend on a hunt in Arkansas, I wore these base layers underneath my early season light weight Scentlock pants and shirt. The high for the day was 42F. I hiked in 1.5 miles and was almost sweating by the time I got to the tree I set up in. There was a strong NW wind that dropped the temp down to 35F by the time I walked out in the dark. I was comfortable walking out without getting too hot. At no point during the hunt, despite the constant wind did I feel like I would need more clothing. With my old cheap synthetic base layers, I would have been wearing my thick jacket. Merino wool is an excellent base layering system and these are an excellent product.

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/base-layer/mens-merino-250-base-layer-bottom-sw0np605?variationId=092

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-Merino-250-base-layer-quarter-zip-sw0np603?variationId=001

Hammer1171 and Shocker99 like this.
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have good luck with smartwool as long as i can try it on as the fir tends to be funny for me. Same with icebreaker. Great quailty stuff

cantexian likes this.
  3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's very hard to beat good merino wool clothing. It's awesome!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cantexian likes this.
  4. jakes10mm

jakes10mm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had very good luck with Smart Wool, Icebreaker and Minus 33 merino wool base layers. I have a full compliment from super light to expedition weight. When I go without and the temperature drops with the sun, I can definitely feel the difference!

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto on Smartwool, Black Ovis, FL.
    Smartwool no issues.
    Black Ovis wears pretty good, but must be sized up.
    FL seems to wear more, but good fit.

Only worthwhile addition, you may need a wind/water (resistant or proof) layer or additional insulation layer(s) depending on conditions.

6. jakes10mm

jakes10mm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For durability, I’ve been impressed with my Minus 33 clothing. One 1/4 zip has become my daily in-house winter wear; lots of wearing and multiple washings without visible wear.

My top layer once the temps drop is Rivers West. Great weather and briar protection, but not the best at breathing. That’s were the wool “warm when wet” attributes kick in for my merino base layers.