Small acreage hunting

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Jkart, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Jkart

Jkart Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have and had permission to bow hunt on a buddies land a little north of Prairie du Chien. It’s only 10 acres. It’s mostly pine trees with a small open area with a tiny pond. The opening is maybe 50 yards wide and maybe 150 yards long. From what I can tell the deer just pass through, no bedding areas that I can find. There is farm fields surrounding the land. My question is, is there anything I can do to help get deer to come through more readily. Hopefully my question makes sense.

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer like to travel from place to place within cover if they can. My first thought would be to cut trails through it that make it easy for them to travel through. If you post up a contour picture of the area (many like to crop out the location coordinates), showing the contour of the area and where fields and water are located, there are several here that could determine possible bedding locations. That combined with food and water will help to determine travel routes, pinch points, and funnels.
    Depending on water resources in the area, the pond may be being used quite a bit. How was sign around the pond?

3. Jkart

Jkart Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m not sure how to find the contour picture of the area. Here is a farm field to the east which is up hill from the little pond. The terrain slopes down to the south into a big ravine with farm fields to the south of that. There is tons of sign around where the water is or would be if there was water in it.

4. Jkart

Jkart Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is the best I can come up with. The land is going down from the road. From the little pond to the left in the picture is going up hill. I have a stand where the clearing either the pond is meets the farm field. D97C6974-EC58-439A-8ED6-E6E6502C99D7.png

5. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Google “Acme mapper 2.2”. At the acme website, You can find the property and switch from Google satellite image to “USA Topo” using the button at the top right. Toggling back and forth helps you see how the topo affects the vegetation.