Slick Trick Broadheads

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Hogwire, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the 85 gr. 4 blade 1" ones a couple of years ago and just haven't seen the right buck to try them on yet. I got tired of waitin the other night and "slung one"
    through a nubbin to see how they work. (K, I apologize for shootin a nubbin but I actually thought it was a doe, I was in thick brush and he still had fuzz on them.) Anyway he started to turn from slight quartering away to hard quartering away. The arrow hit him just in front of the hindquarter and exited the chest. I don't know what the arrow hit after coming out but the point looked good and no visible damage to the blades. It was soaked in red from end to end and laying right at the point of impact. The little deer ran directly away with tail tucked firmly. I watched until I thought it ran out of sight but it was dead on its feet, it just hit the ground and didn't move seventeen ranged yards from the where it was shot. The shot was 20 yds., I ranged my tree when I picked up my arrow. I have to say I am very impressed with this broadhead. The entrance hole opens up to what looks to be about a 1.5" hole and the exit wound looked about the same. I gutted the deer within 1 hr. of the shot. There was a lot of damage in the intestines and the chest was just full of blood. Both lungs were deflated and I didn't want to dig around and find the heart because of the mess. Wish I had now! Admittedly this is an easy test because of the lack in size of this deer for these heads but I do have my confidence in them now.
    I shoot a Hoyt Supertech 30" draw set at 65#. I've shot it over my chrono and I think it was shooting 310 fps at 10'. I was shooting carbon arrows with 2 or 2.5" vanes at about 400 grs. total with these heads. I shot expandables for a few years and have had good grouping with 1 1/8" 3 blade fixed heads but these (Slick Tricks) are the first fixed heads I've used that shot exactly to the same point as my field tips. I really don't have a problem with expandables, just always figgered they were a second choice to fixed. I shot Wasp expandables that worked pretty well. I shot Grim Reapers about 2 years ago and had good luck with them except I never shot one that I could use again. They were all damaged in someway, usually bent.
    You can order Slick Tricks from manufacturer's website but you have to print out an orderform and mail it in. they have some bigger heads also, check out the ones they call the Grizzly! lp

2. mcorso

mcorso Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy swears by slick tricks, shoot same as field tips , and he picks on me for not trying them out,, I plan on it but gonna burn up my montec's till then,

3. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a Montec at my local archery shop a few times. Shot good! I'm with you, if it works why spend more money? lp