Sleeping...Good/Bad?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 450rdawg, Sep 7, 2009.

1. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was just thinking about something that came to mind on Saturday evening. I was in one of our shoting houses just watching since we don't open until Saturday and had a wake-up call. LITERALLY!! It was about 8:00 P.M. and 3 does and 2 fawns came out on the field. 5 minutes later 2 bucks came out. Another 10 minutes or so passed and 2 more bucks came out and walked across the food plot. The other deer followed suit and walked off too.

Now I've always been the guy who says a 5 -10 minute power nap in the stand doesn't hurt you. Well, if I'd been asleep for this 15 minute period then I would've never saw these deer.

I would tell you how big the bucks were but it was pretty dark out due to cloud cover and all I could see was body outline and unidentifiable racks.

Just some food for thought as I've got a huch I'm not the only one who does or has done this.:D

2. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the deer will come back... i rather enjoy a stand nap to tell the truth... especially in the morn... when that sun hits you just right and warms ya as dawn breaks... i can usually survive about 2 hrs after sun up, then the nods start showin up... i fight 'em for a bit, then fade off for 10 mins or so...

3. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. It is very relaxing and quiet.

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the way I look at it.You are there to enjoy yourself.Sometimes that means killing something and other times there is nothing more enjoyable than a nap in the woods.I love it.I don't do it near as much as I used too but still enjoy a little nap from time to time.

5. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt in towers or blinds or prepared thingys. When I go to hunt, well I'm really hunting. I've been hunting for 50 years. Never took a power nap while hunting. If I want to sleep I'll do it in a recliner.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive never fell asleep on stand...ive gotten bored hundreds of times, but the excitement of "whats next" keeps me awake. I have a fear of falling and dying as well...

7. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    god bless harnesses? love me a stand nap

8. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I fall asleep alot before the sun comes up, but I usually stay awake when I can see (not that it's never happened though :D )

9. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a little prioritizing is in order. LOL.

10. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ohhhhhh i have nodded off a ton, seems like if i fight it... it get worse. usually check my watch and see how long i've been out and has really never been more than a few minutes. i've had fun every time i've EVER been out hunting so i cant say that nap has ruined that, personally

11. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't fall asleep while deer hunting, but I've dozed off several times while turkey hunting waiting for the birds to come off roost.

12. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never once slept in a stand during hunting hours.

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've only ever taken a nap by accident....such as the times when the head nodding finally wins over and I don't pop back up. :D NEVER taken an afternoon nap that I know of, but those early mornings can be rough on me on a slloooow morning, to the point I may or may not nod off.

I try not to, because if I was looking for some sleep....my bed is a hell of a lot more comfortable than my darned treestands!

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't ever really try to fall asleep on stand...I'm there to hunt. However, a couple times I lost the fight & dozed off during some warm mid-day spells when I was pretty beat up from lack of sleep.

15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sleep when i'm hunting? Hell no. There will be plenty of time for that when i'm dead. ;)

16. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll start nodding, especially in my comfy climber, but I never really fall asleep. The eyes will close and I'll hear something that snaps me back awake. I have had to smack my cameraman once or twice in the leg because he was snoring so loud.:mad:

17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I'm deer hunting, I'm standing up, so no sleeping for me.

When I was filming for Justin, I sat down while waiting for sunup. I did briefly fall asleep and did one of the 'startled' wake ups when I felt myself slumping in the stand. I was too jittery to sleep after that. Justin fell asleep to the point that he started snoring. I let him sleep for awhile and then put my deer call up to his ear. :D