Skill

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Notorious, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I said fact not factual survey. Read it again!

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To the OP, how good you should be before you start hunting? Using some examples you have read on here you might have seen where tests where done...passing was at least 6 out of 10 in 6" circle at 20 yards...so 60% to pass...

Just my opinion that sucks and means you missed your goal 40% of the time. Forget numbers and think successful repetitive practice, keep at it until a miss is a RARITY, and a rarity isn't no were near 40%....only at that point consider hunting at that distance.

4. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. Thanks for clearing that up

5. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't share my test results. I know some things I have said have been questioned on this thread so I would like to just add this. More for me than anything. I put all 10 within 1" of the X. I hit no where near the line on the outside. I know I wasn't being question but, before I was I wanted to share.

I haven't look at it as 60% passing until now. Maybe I will encourage or at least bring up the fact of raising it to at least 8 out of 10 in the 6" and maybe the others within 8" circle. Hmm, go one step further an have levels of qualification.

6. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a field tip or BH group for the requirements? Would add even more to it...

7. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Field tip. If your bow is tuned properly it won't matter what you are shooting out of it will it? I know mine shoots mechs and fixed blade the exact same at any yardage. 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and yes i test out to 70yd with broadheads before i hit the woods. Will i shoot a deer that far out? heck no but, knowing it is hitting on that far out gives me peace of mind. Tuning issues with broadheads don't show up much and may not be enough to fail the qualification test if the issues aren't that bad at 20yd. The more drastic tuning issues would show at that distance. step back to 30yd and beyond and even minor tuning flaws become drastically exposed. You already know this though.

What if a person shoots mechanical? It's going to shoot exactly the same in almost all cases of mechanical. Add to that a person could qualify with mechanicals and use something else. They already require you to register the bow you are hunting with. If you buy another bow, you have to requalify using that bow.

8. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you. But, I would wager that more than 60% of the general public does not know how to tune a bow or broadhead. And even 30-40% of those do not know you need too. Even the most perfectly tuned bow won't shoot a broadhead if the shooters form is not there. Like everything in life there will always be "way around it".

I guess I'm just vain in that aspect as I see so many guys in our shop who go the mechanical route out of pure laziness.

9. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be willing to say its probably more around 75%. I don't think guys on this forum or others for that matter realize how few of us there are out there. By us I mean guys that care enough to take the time to tune our equipment, our skills, our knowledge and care for our quarry. Most guys that hunt with a now that I know (and this is changing as I surround myself with like minded) don't even know that broad heads have a different POI if the bow is not properly tuned.

10. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    True. It's not an easy thing to swallow day after day. Primarily so if they have now desire to take heed to any advice.