Skill

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Notorious, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Tennessee where I live...I would guess about 80% is inside 30 yards. I could be way off though...lol. Like backcountry said....I think it depends more where you hunt.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agreed with you, I even when so far as to state we will wound even less if you didn't shoot at all.

But that wasnt the question. The question is whats a realistic skill set that a person can obtain that would allow proficiency at reasonable distances and a high likely hood for success.
    It pretty obvious that the closer you are the easier it may be, IF all other factors are equal..... But they never are. Distance is only one factor. what about type of game? what about terrain? Is a 10 yard shot from 20 feet up a tree stand or rock ledge better then 25 yard shot from the same stand? What about the fact that proficiency on game comes from experience and practice, does distance trump that as well? What about the likely hood of being withing that distance? 20 yards maybe a likely distance for whitetail from a tree stand, but is it for a elk in CO?
    There are many factors that come into play. The best advise a new archer can get is practice enough that he becomes proficient WELL past the point they need to be for the average hunting situation they are likely to find them selves in.

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And to fricking often the advise a new archer gets Is the compounds of today are fast so you can take much longer shots hunting. I hear and see It quite often. Pisses me off to no end!!!

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's all I'm trying to say Trial.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know and respect where your coming from and truth be told I think we would agree on more then we would disagree.
    But all to often on a forum like this you have the blind leading the blind. Although am sure that isn't the case in our discussion, we still need to be careful when people with little to no real world hunting experience spouting facts like they been hunting for decades.

6. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When u consistently hit the bulls eye from 100 yards out

7. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In nj to qualify for your bow license you need to hit a 10 inch circle at 20 yards. Very easy don't see why people fail that part. But in my opinion it should be a 5 inch circle at 20 yards. Most shots won't be more than that. And 5 inches at 20 yards will definitely keep you in the killzone

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you mean facts or opinion trial? Facts are proven data driven results. Not something someone believes to be true without data driven evidence. A person relaying fact is not harmful. It's when an opinion is presented as fact. In the end it is the individual hunters responsibility to research and find fact in the opinions isn't it?

9. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    The NCBA's BCRS qualifier is 6 of 10 inside a 6" circle at 20yd. I think a person should have to do this in all states to receive a Bowhunting license.

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree

11. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What data evidence was given in your fact? And that was all opinion. Like I stated earlier, I never received a phone call asking me how far all of my shots were.

5 arrows are in my quiver, that is a fact that is undeniable. Shooting distances and not.

12. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not saying I disagree with you but in VA it's written into our state constitution that hunting is a right. Putting qualifiers on rights is a slippery slope

13. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    It was obviously published by people much more knowledgeable of the data than myself or even you for that matter. I am sure it was a statistical survey of sorts as most of those are. Statistics as I am sure you are aware are based on averages. Statistics can also be manipulated. We all know that.

Short answer, I didn't write it nor did i research the data that was used to write it but, it was written in a book by knowledgeable individuals. I guess that is no different than typing Backcountry is a genius. Just because I typed it sure as hell doesn't make it fact so I guess I get your point.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  14. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    The way this country is going it is probably viewed by majority of our citizens as a privilege.

15. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very true, however delving into that subject would severely hijack this thread

16. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously not more knowledgeable. Nobody has agreed with it, yet. Now you have changed it from a factual survey to a statistical survey? Good work.

Instead of coming in and acting like a big dog, as usual, it would have been much easier to say " I have read that".. , "although my opinion is". And good stab at my intelligence, I thoroughly enjoyed it :wave:

17. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is the NCBA and what's a BCRS qualifier? Also, how do you find out if you need a bowhunting license in your state?

18. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    It was a joke man. Lighten up. I'm sure you are a very bright, well educated, well rounded and mature individual.

I guess I should have said I read but, I didn't. Oh well. That's me and if you don't like my responses, you don't have to quote anything I say. You always and I mean every chance you get come at me with some BS! I frankly get tired of it. For some reason you have a chip on your shoulder with me and have had for some time now. And when the hell did I say it was a factual survey and when did I say it was definitely as statistical? I said it is probably, not it was most definitely. I love how you take things people (me particularly) say and twist it so that it sounds how you want it to. For what? To start
    an online argument and attempt to make it seem as though someone said something they didn't? You are a piece of work dude. Wait, I am also I am sure. I'm done man. Done.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  19. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    North Carolina Bow Hunters Association and Bowhunter Certification and Referral Service. The BCRS is a deer management/population control program that offers a free alternative to organizations and associations such as home owners associations, farms, business parks and other urban type areas in need of population control. It is supported by laws from the NCWRC (North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission) in which allow population control year round.

I joined the NCBA and the BCRS program about a month ago. To qualify they run a background check and you must shoot to qualify.

20. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Re-read your first post. You most definately did say it was fact. Sorry, I do jot twist facts around, simply state what is written. And yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder towards you. A giant one. Later.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2