***Size Matters - Team 3***

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Western MA Hunter, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Mudshark!

2. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bootlegger go Broncos!!!!!! Hopefully we can pick up a QB because simean sucks and it's painful to watch.

Patriots did awesome in that 4th quarter. I can't believe they haven't blamed it on the Russians or Trump yet lol

Yes we missed another thank you. Our team captain who handled all the administrative work. And I justt sent you my info. Thanks again.

And yes keep this thread alive.

3. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and I should have some nice bear pics come this may. Heading to northern Saskatchewan for black bears

4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sent you mine. Forgot the size...will send it.

Sent from my SM-S320VL

5. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I should of just not entered the shed contest! I was denied access to my honey hole that I have had over the past 18 years and now my public spot I found this today! So it looks like I will be lucky to even find 1 shed this year! I am on the hunt for some other properties other wise I have hurt my shed team!

View attachment 74428

6. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks! Why didn't they make the season longer or raise the harvest limit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

7. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only found a couple of sheds in my life. Don't go looking much, but not really any good spots here

8. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been shed hunting since 1998 and I have over 350 sheds. I have a bunch that are in the North American Shed Hunters Club Record Book.

9. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What if I told you guys. That in 15 years of hunting and 15 years of going with my old man before that and being a kid always in the woods. I have never in my life stepped on a shed. Never ever ever. I have been with buddies, hunting partners, family who have all found them with me there. But I have never in my life found one on my own lol. You say it's impossible I know. I've killed more deer then I can remember. Bears, moose, coyotes etc. Never found a damn shed in my life. I sometimes lose sleep over the fact a person who spends so much time on the woods can't find a shed. I have found so many things that don't belong in the forest. But no sheds.

10. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I generally don't look. I have found them turkey hunting

11. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sucks to hear Dawg. Scrolling around and seeing your sheds was one of the top things I liked watching when I got on here.Your seasons were awesome. Hopefully something works out.

I've wanted to get more into sheds but instead time decreased each year. Few years back did over 40 hours and nothing then next year decent time then discing for a plot found my first an average 4 pt side when I happened to stop the tractor and just look down it was there. Then last year my "highlight" year found both sets of my top ones I was after and a spike and broken piece. It's definitely tons of luck with time and strategy all mixed in. And extremely addictive. This year sucks cause blowing a lot of time and cash on getting some dr things and projects figured out so won't be able to look much or almost at all. Hoping either luck pays off or might just be a empty year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok... I've heard from everyone other than Berwick..... I sent all of our info. on to Fitz and he advised he sent to Justin to get our prize packages shipped out. Not sure on turnaround time, but they have all the info. they need. I have no idea what to expect other than a shirt..

We got hammered here w/ snow the past week... about 2'. The deer are struggling. I put some sweet feed out behind house and have 2-5 deer almost all night long feeding. This snow on top of what we already had has them belly deep. Hoping we get some sun to melt a bit off to make it easier on them. They ate 50lb in a couple of days. I'm going to put some more out tonight. Any other recommendations on what is good to feed them in this cold weather that won't break the bank?
    They are eating my Rhododendron bushes like crazy.. just the overhead tops left.. LOL... should look nice this spring / summer! lol

13. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Am I the only one lucky enough to still be hunting? [​IMG]

14. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    I would have shot this buck before the contest ended. He'll get a pass now. Hoping a yearling doe will show up this evening.

15. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    RB I think you're the only one but not sure. Feels like I've been done forever. We're losing a lot of snow and next few days more so might take a fast walk to see for sheds but iffy.
    Western not sure what to suggest for feed. For here corn is cheapest, but possibly not the best for the deer pending their eating in your area. I used some pellets last year after season to get pics and got a set of sheds from spreading it around and then coming in, but the pellets were twice as much as corn even. Maybe see what any local feed and seed kinda places have or something. I've seen some people post some really high and really affordable pending where they're at.

16. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are RB. Nice buck there.
    I've put a couple of bags of sweet feed out for them. They have been down a lot... warm weekend melted a lot of the snow, so they have it a bit easier going now.

17. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason I cannot post pics... but yesterday I picked up an antler plaque from my first rack buck I ever shot 15 years or so ago. I had had it mounted and it was not aging well. It was discoloring and was starting to pul. I pulled the antlers and had the plaque done. It cam out great.
    I also shot a nice 8 a couple of seasons ago with the bow. I had a buddy mount it, but it came out terrible, so I pulled the rack and had it put on a fake Euro skull. It looks very good... however, The skull is a bit smaller than the others I have euromounted with real skulls.

18. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. Curious to see the euro. What kind of fake did you use? I used two of the mountain mikes for sheds. Good enough for me, but I can see where could be improved.
    I ran and picked up my bear mount from two seasons ago. Really happy with how it came. Just stuck it in our basement living area that needs finishing for now. Otherwise nothing archery or wildlife related for me.
    [​IMG]

Bootlegger likes this.
  19. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still can't seem to get pics to post or to PM... Turro, PM me your email address and I'll send you a pic of the fake skull mount.

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received: