Situation Ethics - Would You Take The Shot?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, May 20, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have mad respect for all of you that don't agree with me...you guys (and girl) are some of my favorite posters on this site...I can't understand why someone grabbing a deer they killed that died 10 yards on your property would even bother you?

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't own the deer that I am hunting but you can bet that I own the deer I hunted and killed, legally.

Some of you guys are trying to dig deeper than necessary. Tony told you the situation. It's a neighbor that has been proven to not allow people to access his land, for any reason. You either let that deer sit and try to talk to him or you take 10 seconds to walk over there and drag it back.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So after reading everything I have two different questions.

1. If you shoot a deer and it goes over the property line amd your not going to retrieve it if not allowed, even though you shot it on your land, then why even buy tags? If your just gonna continually shoot deer until one dies on your ground what's the difference. Imagine its different if you have large property but there's many that don't or hunt public ground.

2. If you put yourself in the situation of the property owner that won't let anyone on their land do you go get it yourself or do you let it lay?

I totally get the not breaking the laws thing, but how many of you that just chalk the deer up as a lose sit here every fall and blast somebody for making a questionable shot and saying they lost the deer for not doin everything possible to recover that animal? Or does everything you can only include legal means? There's several threads every year about that and whoever post it gets crucified if they don't move heaven and earth to find the injured animal but your gonna let one rot 10 yards off your ground?

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And tagging someone else's legally shot deer that made it across the property line before expireing with a free landowners tag is ethical to you?

5. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I think if you and your neighbor have a agreement that's great and some land owners want to know who is on there land so it doesn't
    Become a it's ok if they don't know situation it's ok kind of thing. Some people don't have a clue to just how bad a Bad Neighbor can really be.

I heard a gun shot on my place some years back and walked over to my corn field to find two guys standing in the middle of it. I asked them to show me some blood and they could not. I asked them to leave and not come back without the agent or sheriff. They declined and I talked to the land owner and they lost there hunting spot. I had caught the same guy turkey hunting three times before. It's people that burn certain spots for everyone after they get run off.

One farm I caretake had two trespassers seriously injured on the ground there insurance company sued because they were not kept off the ground and wanted to recoup the hospital bills,the police had been called that day and the kids did not leave so they lost the case but the real loss is no one has a chance of ever hunting on being there as long as it's owned by this family.

My beef is not with you at all.

6. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience the guys that feel they own wild game are the types of guys that wouldn't let you track a legally shot deer onto their property.

7. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    That's not ethics, the meat will get tagged and given away to family's in need and not go wasted. If the hunter comes and ask me I would be glad to come help them get there deer but if it's the same guys cutting my fences and driving thru my crops,stealing my cams how crap do you feel I should put up with.. You guys act like you never heard of guys that do this kind of thing.
    If the guys are having deer every season that need pulled out there's a problem hell just sneak in and get it maybe next year just hunt over the fence it's a down hill slope with some. Not all but some

8. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had issues with trasspasser, ran into a couple neighbors shed hunting on our property once, they knew they were in the wrong but I never brought up the trespassing, just talked a few minutes and they were on their way off the property and I've never seen them again. I guess I don't understand some situations since I've never experienced them, can understand the frustration if they're damaging property.

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I completely understand why some neighbors become very angry over someone walking on their land. There's a lot of questionable hunters out there that are destructive and just inconsiderate. But I am still walking over that line to get my deer, as long as it was within 30 yards or so. If it didn't go down within a reasonable distance, I would go knock on his door and ask for him to retrieve it for me (with my help), or at least go get it for himself.

As a hunter, you have to respect the game your chasing. Respect it when it's alive and respect it after the shot by not leaving it go to waste.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In Missouri, it is illegal to tag a deer that you didn't legally shoot. You would be in violation of the law if you tagged it as if you killed it. That is why party hunting is illegal here. As a landowner you have the right to refuse someone from retrieving the deer, you do not have the right to tag it as your own. I'd also like to see you refuse the CO access to the deer. Good luck with that.

11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    In Illinois, as of now they're trying to change it, a CO doesn't need permission to go on your land. So this also wouldn't work here.

12. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a big Ted Nugent fan, but he made a good point in a Deer and Deer Hunting article a couple years ago. Basically he said illegal doesn't always mean unethical. For example, he had seen hit deer on the road and, after ensuring safety for everyone, dispatched the deer to keep it from flopping back into the road and to end its suffering. Illegal? Yes. Ethical? Yes. If someone has life threatening injured and need to see a doctor do you speed? While those may not be comparable to trespassing to retrieve a deer, and obviously laws are in place for a reason, not everything that is technically illegal is unethical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    Agent can look at the deer all he wants, if it's on my land I will decide what's done with it. He can give me a disposition tag or or I can use a free land owners tag as he can decide which one.
    Some of my ground borders a hwy and people shoot out of there truck several times a season all I have had to do in the past is make a call and he does not even come out.

Also agents don't have the power you think they do, some people have got it in there head that they can search without probable cause this is false. As for a deer on my ground he can come to my house and ask me if you can get it and I can refuse and I can have it if I choose or I can donate it to the needy thru my local meat locker. I would not let it rot. Read my other post on trespassers I deal with and I may refuse a certain group of hunters crossing my fences and tell me you would not do the same.

14. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    He can look all he wants there is just nothing he can do without the land owners permission. My real point in all of this is why is the landowner always the d-bag we do need to control who is on are ground because it becomes a real problem here in rural areas near the city's. I can be sued by a trespasser if he gets hurt on my ground even if I didn't know he was there. Talk about not having any rights.
    At least two times a week I run people off that are climbing fences and shooting the signs that are to keep them out why should I reward these guys with the very thing they are trying to take off my land. You gotta take a stand somewhere right?

15. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No #1,grab my team ropin buddy and retrieve my trophy #2.

16. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure what you mean there's nothing he can do, but yea here there is. He can take the deer and if wants to be a real richard can look through any building or property you own and take what ever he feels is a violation and give you a ticket. Like said as of right now a Illinois CO can pretty much do whatever they want without a warrent or permission from owner.

17. NJGobbler

NJGobbler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No.....and yes.

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    According to Ultramax, that is still wrong....

19. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    Not true,they have to follow rules just like every other law enforcement.

20. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    Don't put words in my mouth. You started this mess :bash: