Situation Ethics - Would You Take The Shot?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, May 20, 2014.

1. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No easy answer to option #2, but as you said your personal ethics drive WHAT you would do---

Come and get my guns is an whole other subject :)

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I guess while you boys are across the fence so to speak and a trail cam snaps your pic your obligated to snatch it up also...I mean ethics and all? Where do you draw the line.

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. I wasn't trying to bring that into the discussion. I was just using that as an example.

4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's what balaclavas are for. :D

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who said anything about stealing? If I shot the deer on my property, I will go retrieve MY deer and nothing else.

If there's a camera, oh well, I guess I will be getting a call or ticket. I refuse to let that deer go to waste if it's close enough to the property line.

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another question for the hunters that wouldn't cross over. How many deer are you willing to lose to the dbag neighbor? If you have consecutive years of deer running onto that property, would you be willing to leave that portion of your property a hunt free zone? To someone with 5-10 acres, are you going to not hunt at all if it continues to happen?

7. ultramax

Dislikes Received:

A agent or a sheriff would decide ownership,but I would bet they would side on who's land it's laying on. Deer won't go to waste all of natures animals need something to eat.

Here is the deal for me at least if your neighbor lets you know up front that he never wants you over the fence for any reason then that's pretty cut and dried but for some guys they still push there luck and the land owner is a no good sob because some guy just can't get it thru there heads that no means no,and maybe it's your own fault for you past indiscretions to began with.

8. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    Ha ha. So I own 200 and you own 5 so you have a total of hmm... 205 right?

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So why are there laws against wanton waste? So I shouldn't worry about killing deer and just leaving them lay in the future? I'll just go cut off the antlers so I can mount them on a plaque. I don't really need the meat anyways.

10. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    Well you would be stealing the antlers right and trespassing :deer: my point is why guys wonder why they are told to stay off anyways there are a lot of people ruining this kind of situation in the first place and as I am a landowner and hunter it is not because of a guys deer getting over the fence most guys are repeat offenders from all seasons deer,turkey,mushroom hunting and arrow head hunters just to name a few. These guys cross my fence all the time so why can't I get any help or respect. They steal .shoot my signs
    Take stands and cams and even threaten me on my own ground.

Turn it around and ask your self why does this guy not want me on his ground that he bought and paid for with his hard work and tears, some guys ruin it for everyone.

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This crossed my mind a few times as I read through the thread and landowners that insist on no trespassing being refereed to as D-bags, etc.. I think that's rarely the case, most have reasons why they throw out an abrupt "NO" to anyone that asks and rarely is it ever just because of a desire to be a jerk.

I have a d-bag neighbor but not because he wouldn't allow me to hunt, because he's just that sort of guy in general. Exactly the type guy that would say yes to question number one and yes to number two and dare you to do something about it.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ummm no, possession does not constitute ownership. Just because the deer is dead on his land does not mean that land owner has any ownership of that deer. So taking the antlers would not be stealing because nobody owns the deer. That was not my point anyway.

13. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I completely disagree with those who say go on someone else's land without permission....even if to retrieve the deer which is right there in sight. I think a call to the CO explaining the situation and a pleasant conversation with the land owner goes further. There's a reason the "neighbor" doesn't want you or anyone else there....that "dbag" has screwed the neighbor in the past, leaving a bad taste in his mouth.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is still going? I thought I provided the solution :tu:

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is an immense misconception in this thread we own the deer we hunt...seriously think about that.....boggles my mind.

16. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    If the deer is dead on my ground and I refuse you or a agent access who's deer is it? I can tag with my no cost land owners tag or get a disposition tag. I have first rights to a dead deer on my ground.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think that is true. . It's just people not letting something they killed go to waste if they can help it...and ten seconds... they can help it...it boggled my mind you guys don't get that....

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And that is why you would never even know that something died on your property... cuz almost no one would ask to take 10 seconds to pull it to their side

19. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    That's why they call it ethics. It's what you do and act When no one is watching that shows who you are.. Why did you post this thread... Again with the same results as last time , showing most people would cross a fence without a care.

20. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you pulling this from??

Please reread my post and maybe you will understand then.

I do not hunt on my neighbors land, but if you have a small property (like some preach about on here) then the odds of losing a deer are even higher. If they continue to run off your small property after being shot, without being able to recover them due to a neighbor, are you going to continue to hunt that land?