Situation Ethics - Would You Take The Shot?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, May 20, 2014.

1. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess that's because you put more importance on killing you buck of a life time than you do on what is right and wrong..

Ethics you got to love them when they fit your schedule!

that's it-- my last post on this one...

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You have posted YOUR subjective opinion... and I've posted mine...

Yours comes from being a landowner that will never run into this scenario and has to deal with trespassers all the time.... and ftr, I said I would get ANY deer.

3. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. The property next to us is all for sale, so yes, and
    2.Oh hell yes. 100%. Killing an animal is a big deal, period. Before you shoot its good to know the property around you and your neighbors, and their phone numbers. Some people don't want to get their door knocked on at midnight by a random guy looking like Rambo haha.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No and yes. It's legal for me to recover a deer on another property as long as I leave weapons behind. If it wasn't legal I would call the dnr and the landowner and ask for permission. If it wasn't given I'd be threatening to turn the landowner in for wasting the deer. They can get a ticket for that in most cases.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, let's say they have every right to not let you on and the dnr can't do anything about it...you know this ...now what do you do?

6. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get the damn deer after every option has been used. I'd go 150 yards if I see it dead. Even if I didn't see it die and I knew it was a dead deer I'm going after it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. No, absolutely not
    2. Honestly, I'd get the deer if it's 10 yards from the fence and I could see it.
    Addendum to 2 though is that I always know if I can or can't recover a deer off a neighbors property and I don't have any that I cannot recover on as per a running agreement that either party can recover deer that crossed the line. I can't imagine a scenario like #2 actually happening to me personally but say it did...I can't honestly say I'd bother doing anything other than just quietly getting the deer....sometimes silence really is golden. I'd be damn sure there was an obvious blood trail to justify my story though, just in case, trespassing is trespassing but being justifiable never hurts.

8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna skip answering the questions, but just have a quick side question. For the states that allow a landowner to refuse letting someone retrieve the deer, how does that work for them then? I know each state has pretty different laws on it, but if he takes the deer and processes it and mounts it or something wouldn't that be kind of a problem for possession for him? Here if you pick one up off the side of the road you can get salvage tags or whatever they're called, would the landowner have to do that or risk trouble? Or would they be able to let it rot and nothing happens or no obligations? Just wondering how it's handled after the initial problem.
    (Not to hijack the thread but just to check while some are on the topic and I've always been curious)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To my knowledge, the landowner in IL can deny access, but thats where its supposed to end. They can't process it, mount, etc.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That landowner would not be able to legally possess that deer unless he tagged it as if he shot it. Even then, there would be the gray area of "party hunting". Most states do not allow someone other than the shooter to tag a deer. More than likely in this scenario, I would say the land owner would just leave it lay just to keep the shooter from getting the trophy and the meat.

11. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the answers. I was guessing that would be how it would have to go to prevent more potential problems but always wondered. There are so many different regs in each state i just wondered how they handle some differently. I figured another route would be the dnr/CO would maybe confiscate it or something too just to prevent problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any land owners on the site that would refuse access to an unknown neighbor to track a deer onto their property?

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would personally assist the hunter in locating their deer.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. Same here. I hate tresspassers but there's no way I'm not going to help a fellow hunter retrieve their deer. Not to mention you could become friends and co-ops in deer management plan.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As a previous landowner and current caretaker, I have done it several times

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As a landowner who has dealt with A LOT of trespassing and poaching and who is an area target property for lazy hunters wanting to bag a trophy with minimal to no effort.....I ask adjoining landowners to notify me or provide a written statement of permission to any new hunters they grant hunting rights to. I also ask to be notified if a retrieval is needed on my property and I do the same. If someone shows up or I catch them trespassing claiming to be looking for a deer, I check for written permission and insist on helping track the animal. I check for blood trails crossing onto my property to make sure it isn't a case of the afore mentioned #1.

I don't want to be a "richard" but would prefer it over letting some "richard" poach game off my property and me being naive enough to not catch it. An easy mark doesn't survive well out here in the nearly lawless stix.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Respect

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care what Tony, the game warden or anyone else thinks is a "head scratcher" or stupid idea to not just trespass to recover the deer. I don't hold my values based on anything other than what I personally have been raised to think and what I desire to have as a character. Further more I expect others to act the same to any property I may hold now or in future.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Covey nailed it and that is exactly how we desire it be. We will never withhold retrieval...and request the same. This scenario tho paints the picture where this is not the case.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't recall anyone asking you what you thought of my thoughts...just the scenario ... put the soap box away, Ty ... you stated your thoughts...to continue to post things like the above, well it says you DO care ;)