Sitka stratus vs fanatic light?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jacob1, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How's the downpour jacket and pant?

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had the cloudburst for a couple years and it was just to loud for whitetail hunting unless it was a downpour, so I rarely used it and almost didn't buy the downpour because of my experiences with the cloudburst. No where local had the downpour to check it out in person.

The downpour is so much better for whitetail. It is about as quiet as the mt050 but feels 1/2 the dry weight and the shell does not absorb and hold water weight like the mt050 does.

If I lost the downpour set, I would re-purchase.

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Also, what size? Normal or sized up?

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is the only Sitka pieces that I own that I sized up. I sized up so I could wear it over the insulated fanatic gear if needed.

If you do not plan to ever wear it over something similar to that, I would not size up. It has a generous cut.

5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After changing my list a few times I think I am ready to place my order. The only thing I am not sure on is a vest. I have never used one hunting and not sure if I should get one. For the guys that have used them, is that a must have in your opinion?

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me it is. I like to wear it over base on walk in. I also like to have it a thin wind block over my torso, providing it's got wind stopper. It saves me bulk over my arms which rarely get cold.

7. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say MUST have, but it sure is nice to be able to keep your trunk warm and have the flexibility in your arms and shoulders for bowhunting...sometimes when you layer jacket over jacket you feel like Ralphie's brother in the Christmas Story...just too bulky. The fanatic vest just gives you more options for various temps. I imagine walking in on one of those days when it will be 30 at night but warm up to 50 pretty quick in the morning. I start with my fanatic hoodie to make the walk into stand so I don't sweat too much and overheat, then putting on my stratus jacket with the fanatic vest over the top...then when it warms up mid morning into the 40s can pull the vest off and throw it in the bag, or take the stratus off and wear the vest with the hoodie.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my Stratus vest. I can wear it over a shirt to limit wearing too many base layers on days where it's chilly but not cold enough for the full Stratus jacket. I get cold easy but hate to be too bulked up. So the less layers I can wear the better.

I just got some Equinox pants and Core light weight long sleeve shirt today and I am looking forward to wearing them this early season.

9. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now let's talk pants. What's the best all around pants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For an all around pant you'd only have two options with the fanatic lite bibs and the status pants. If I could only pick one of the two it would be the lite bibs. Walk much with the Stratus pants on in 55 degree or warmer weather you'll have swamp nuts in no time. With two layers of fleece and a gore windstopper laminate sandwiched between them with no sort of ventilation, they warm up quickly.

If you were willing to pack the pants in on longer walks, then they are more versatile. But, still not as versatile as the fanatic lite bib.

11. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    is all Sitka waterproof or just certain pieces? I am giving up my rivers west this year and getting Sitka. I sit all day most of the time no matter the weather conditions so waterproof is a must. suggestions?

12. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They have the downpour series which is their waterproof shell. The rest of their line could handle light rain, but it's not waterproof.

13. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good to know. thanks. you guys know of any other products that are similar to rivers west being insulated yet completely waterproof? Sitka now seems overpriced if it isn't waterproof. jmo

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What about for late October through November in SW PA and NE OH? I originally said I don't like the Fanatic Lite bibs, but lately I have been considering them again. I already have the stratus jacket and vest, I am not sure I need that windstopper on my legs so I have been having a hard time deciding. The regular Fanatic bibs will be too warm for this time frame except the rare really cold days I think.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently bought the fanatic lite bib and the stratus pants. That was my biggest hole from last year since the temps were above average.

My thinking is I'll use the fanatic lite for pack in hunts until the end of October or on the calm days. I'll use the stratus pants for the back 40, public spots that are closer to road, and windy days. The fanatic lite has a lot of room to layer, so I think it will be a usable piece for most of the year.

Another question is how often have you used the downpour pieces with the fanatic jacket and bibs? My fanatic set is in large and the dewpoint is also large. The fit of them together makes me look like the Michelin man.

The problem is I don't really want to buy XL rain gear and have to deal with the extra room when not wearing the fanatic set. So should I size up or use my stratus set + base layers under the downpour when it's a rainy/cold day?

16. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    How do the fanatic lite bibs fit? Do they run a bit small like everything else?

17. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    JAKE/PAs reply below is right on with how to use the two pieces. If I had to choose one pair it would be the bibs.

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never used them together. Only tried on at the house. If i did it again, i would not have upsized the downpour set. Its not that big of a deal to me though as they really aren't huge or anything, just baggy.

I'd use the status set with additional baselayers for the cold rain days.

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They do have more room for layers compaired to the stratus or equinox because they are bibs and do not have a specific waist size to them.

20. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like I should probably try some on before I buy