Single pin sight questions

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for some experience here. I've considered going to a single pin sight or possibly a 3 pin adjustable. I've heard some guys have a hard time with sighting tapes and things like that so wanted some feedback. Also curious about shooting 2 different arrow weights and how much of a pain would be to change tapes out for different arrow weights? I currently have 2 different arrow weights for turkey and deer but my current sight (Trophy Ridge React 5 pin) isn't too difficult to adjust for that. I'm a big fan of if it ain't broke, don't fix it but wonder if you guys think it would be worth the hassle or not.

I don't have the luxury of having 2 different bows.... yet but am considering potentially trying to have a 2nd bow which would make things easier. Just don't let my wife know!

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Switching between two arrow weights would a pain. I have a Black Gold Ambush Ascent single pin slider. I love it. But I would shoot the same arrow weight for all games ti save the hassle of switching

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Julian

Julian Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It would be a pain to do but for me it would be completely worth it. I have a HHA optimizer lite and love it, I don't see myself switching back to a multi pin sight for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is the reasoning for changing arrow weight for turkeys?

alfarah50 and cantexian like this.
  5. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my long, drawn out boring version of an opinion. LOL!
    I switched to an HHA single pin 2-3 years ago. My shooting really improved but I'm not sure it was 100% all moving to a single pin. It was around the time I got way more involved on the target side, reading, got a coach, etc and I think all of those things factored in.

Pros:
    No cluttered sight picture
    Dial to the yard (if you have a good tape) I sucked at shooting pin gaps. I think I could shoot gaps now.
    HHA is high quality and built like a tank. Excellent company.

Cons:
    I'm SO tired of fidgeting with tapes for every little minute change.
    Quiver is maddening, although I don't shoot with it on.
    I have to move the slider to 70-75 yards to get the quiver off and on, MUST remember to move slider back to the 20-30 area BEFORE shooting in the back lawn. Ruined quite a few arrows in 2-3 years.
    You have to "think ahead" when experimenting with other accessories because you have to account for the movement of the sight housing.

IF I did go back to a multi pin sight, it would have to be one of TR's React sights. I turn a knob and all the pins move for me. If I loosen the nut on a pin in a multi sight, I CAN NOT tighten it back down to where it's straight.

My main concern going back to a multi pin is I've gotten really deep into 3D. At K50 there can be +-3 yds on the stakes and everyone's RF'er reads different and I have read a stake at 56 yds. I have a short draw and don't shoot a speed demon bow, so over 30 yds a tape in 1 yd increments gets a bit more important to me.

If I had it to do over again I would buy the two fixed at 20 & 30 with the 3rd pin as a floater. Now I have too much into my HHA to get anywhere near enough out of it to justify changing. I have the 4X lens kit and infinite adjustment attachment and I'd just lose too much.

nocked-n-loaded and Ldsturg like this.
  6. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With the hha king pin it would be pretty easy the tape wheel comes off and you can put your other one on and sight it in for 20 and good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do yo like the 4x lens kit?

8. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. It gave me all the magnification I needed target wise yet didn't mess me up hunting. But I had EXCELLENT eyesight. Didn't even use a verifier or clarifier.

Full disclosure it's still an excellent product because nothing HHA makes is subpar. However, I have been tinkering and changing everything but my wife in the last 7 mos.

I had a heart attack in May and temporarily lost some strength. I had to go WAY down in draw weight and work my way back up in 1-2# increments. a 2# jump was very noticeable. So I've been all over the board with my draw weight most of the year.

Also, I've got an issue with my eyesight. My Dad never wore glasses until he had a heart attack. I had an eye exam in January and was 20/15. Now I can't read without 4.25 reading glasses, and that's with contacts in, my eyes keep changing and we've changed the prescription 4 times already.

Right now I don't know if 4X is too much or not enough - I don't know whether to get a 2X or 6X.

Westfinger likes this.
  9. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a apex covert pro dot sight on my bow and love it. no pin, just a lighted dot that u can adjust brightness on, no pin in the way. This works great for me because my eyesight isn't the best in my right eye so I can focus on the dot on my target. as far as tape goes, I use waterproof medical tape (white) and mark my own marks. 20,30,40,50 etc. red sharpie is for one set of arrows (deer) and black is for another set of arrows (turkey). simple if u ask me.

10. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the detailed response. Sorry to hear about your health issues but glad to hear your on the mend. I think I will start with the 2x and go from there.

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Lighter and faster and don't need the KE you do with deer for penetration.

12. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still wondering?

13. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I might have to look into that. Thanks for the info!

14. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I just replied.

15. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. I honestly think the easiest thing to do, and the most fun, is to just grab a new Mathews Triax and have one bow for turkey and the other for deer. What do you all think?

16. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oops sorry about that did see
    I guess I don't see the need to get faster just for Turkey my whitetail setup is plenty fast for them.
    I know some guys turn there bow poundage down though.

You hunting birds in the matrix over there? :bow:

I guess if I was you I would get a custom bow tape made that had a couple marked for your turkey setup as well.
    I know when I am turkey hunting I usually only use my 20 yard pin anyway

17. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I rarely shoot even 20 yards on turkeys but I've also found it's easier to find your arrows if they don't blow all the way through the bird. The only other thing is once they notice something out of the ordinary, they don't stick around long to find out what it is. I've noticed deer will take a little longer look but turkeys see something funny and they are usually moving quicker.

I'm probably just making a fuss over something I really don't need to but aw what the hell. If I get a new bow out of it I guess it's worth the fuss! The Triax just looks too fun to pass up. And since my (insert unkind word here) of a step-mom already sold my dads No-Cam less than a year after he passed, the new one will just be the one I missed out on from him.

18. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im not knocking you at all for doing it I was just curious the reasoning
    Do you use lighted nocks? I cant believe I went so many years without them helps so much to find your arrow and see your shot placement.

I might switch to a guillotine type broadhead for turkey its either you miss or they are dead. Last year I lost a huge Tom because I was an idiot and couldn't wait I always tell my self I will never shoot a strutted turkey as a rule but I broke it and went for a texas heart shot hit just a hair low.
    Tracked him through the woods surprisingly there was good blood he was still alive 2 time I found him missed both running shots and he finally went into the park I couldn't enter to become coyote bait.

Oh and I say get a new bow :biggrin: Your wife will understand!