Single or Multi pin?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ozark Bowhunter, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Its really about the sight picture, and potential accuracy/ease with distance I have found. When you get more than 3 pins some people have a hard time seeing the target. If you only shoot 30-35 yards anyways there is little difference from a one pin to a multi-pin anyways, so that is a mute point I believe for shorter distances. Even with a single pin you should know where you hit if you cannot change it for a quick shot. For example, its set at 20, but a deer is at 30 or 35. Just my thoughts, not my exact expertise.

www.soundbarrierhunting.com

2. Seth French

Seth French Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a single pin and locked in at 25 yards. Gotta adjust for 30 or 35. I can hit dead center at 35 and know my adjustments.

Mostly 20-25 yard shots for me.

I have only ever shot 1 pin and my buddy set me up that way when I first started shooting. Its all I know so it's easy.

3. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot multi-pin exclusively until this year. The advantage to me was that as my eyes were getting older The multi-pins started to blur and I was having a hard time with all the clutter and the blur especially in lower light situations. I went with a single pin sight (HHA kingpin) and have been extremely satisfied. I still have to remember to change my yardages for longer shots but as others have said shorter shots really do not present a problem. I don't think I will be going back to multi-pin sights anytime soon.

4. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why are you trying to piss people off? He did NOT say he was shooting 330, He said his bow was 330 IBO, Big difference. If you do a little research you won't keep making stupid comments.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me that is only if I think I don't have time to adjust it. I keep mine set at 27 yards and from 10-40 I know where to aim to hit the kill zone (No I am not saying my bow has no drop, I am saying I know how to adjust my point of aim). However I also practice with it adjusted to the actual yardage. If I have time I will adjust to the actual yardage. If not I am confident I can still make a killing shot.

As to your sight picture comment. I shoot both eyes open and find only having one pin much less of a distraction than having 4 or 5 pins. Now if I put the pin on the spot I don't have to make sure I am using the correct pin.

We are all different and like different things. So I wouldn't expect everybody to like single pins. For years I said I hated them. I tried a non-adjustable single pin years ago and in fact did hate it. Last year I tried an adjustable single pin and fell in love with it.

6. fingerz42

fingerz42 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't need to research anything. I know how physics work and how to calculate drop based on speed and time of flight. Those are real world things that apes like you deem jibber jabber I guess. Thanks for your concern though.

Ps. Why don't you research how to spell "difference.":lol:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  7. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since I had never tested my single pin setup and there seemed to be such a disagreement I spent a little time this morning and shot some arrows at 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40 with my pin set at 25 yds. to see how much high and low I was at various distances. My setup is a Chill R 29" 70lb shooting 425 grain arrows and chrono at 296 fps. My spread from 20 to 35 yards was between 4 - 5 inches which shooting various groups my variation in some part was me. My mean difference would then be approximately 4.5 inches. 20 - 25 was about 1 to 1.5 inches and 25 - 35 accounted for 3 - 4 inches. While not scientific it gave me a fairly good reference to what my bow is doing and I am satisfied that I would be in the kill zone anywhere from 20 to 35 yards without moving my pin. The gap started widening at an increased rate when I went to 40 as would be expected as gravity began to affect the reduced arrow speed more. Just my experience.

8. Ozark Bowhunter

Ozark Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    WOW! Thanks for all the input! Pretty much what I'm getting from all of this is, Keep my multi pin and take off all but one of the pins! Redneck single point! (completely joking, but for real....) All this input really does help out, I was leaning towards getting a single point just to see what all the hype was about. Now I will hold off for a while, I haven't had an issue hitting a vital shot at 0-40 yards. Don't fix it if it isn't broken!

9. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    aww fingerbanger havent you learned what IBO speed means?

10. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Impossible!!!! Your arrow should be dropping 6 feet between 20-30 yards :poke: Oh right only fingermyhiney42 thinks this way :dan:

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Single pin all the way. Bows are so fast today there can be very little gap between pins. I get a much better sight picture with a single pin. It will give you a tone of confidence to take shot at 20 yards, walk back to some ridiculous yardage, range and dial in the new yardage, and hit within a few inches of the 20 yard shot.

12. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've considered going to a single pin as well due to the fact my usual shot is 25 and under. My bow is equipped with a Trophy Ridge V3, the pins are vertical so I maintain a good sight window despite the additional pins. I have my pins set at 25/35/45.

I'm still curious about the single pin sliders though I'm worried that I wouldn't get it adjusted in time.

13. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    recently try viper 3 pin sight..thats isnt for me..take off and put again my HHA 1 pin...shoot to 70 mt. on roe deer target with him..allways 1 pin.. here is video!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Ozark Bowhunter

Ozark Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, I'm thinking I'll stay with the multi pin!