Single Bevel Thoughts

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bloodpool, May 28, 2020.

1. Bloodpool

Bloodpool Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello All, I just wanted some thoughts on single bevel heads. I’ve done some shooting and light testing and have been quite impressed with various single bevel heads. After reading many reviews and arguments for and against, I would like for you guys to weigh in and hopefully some things will come to light. First is the unsupported edge of the single bevel. I still struggle with this as the blade is thicker on a single bevel from razors edge to lets take 1/32” for example towards the main body of the head than a double bevel. I realize that the edge is more pressured on one side due to rotation while cutting. Just not sure what unsupported truly means. I believe thicker would be more advantageous. Secondly, I have read many times over arguing why knives are double bevel instead of single bevel. In using a knife the goal is to make straight cuts and slices not cut in arches which is what happens with a single bevel. Isn’t this comparison of one tool over another for two different outcomes? The way the single bevel enters, spirals through and exits is quite nasty looking. The damage generated by this on internal organs causing stretching, opening, hemorrhaging along with the rotational cutting has to be tremendous. Sorry for the length of this, just looking to gain some knowledge from those that use them. I may never fully stray from double bevel, but I’m sure willing to see what the single does on deer. And thanks to John Lusk for all test videos!

2. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like watching this guys autopsy videos. He has quite a few good ones.

Skip to 6:00 to see the results.

He likes to make 500 gr+ arrows at deer. It seems like a bit of overkill to me, but it sure is hard to argue with results like that.

IH122 likes this.
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying this year. The link goes to a post on my instagram account where I compared a Slick Trick Magnum to a Single Bevel. The arrows are the same weight and FOC. Only difference is the broadhead style.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_bUTbWlacp/

4. Bloodpool

Bloodpool Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you both above for the replies. I find the ranch fairy videos quite entertaining and have learned a lot from Troy. It’s very hard to argue his results. Thank you cantexian for the link- very much like my results. I shot into various mediums but the block target results were amazing in the respect of arrow removal. I turned it sideways to have the full 18” depth because the the arrows were blowing completely through. Shooting into fresh areas of the block the broadheads (Dull at this point) would be poking through. Upon pulling the arrows out, it’s crazy how much the broadhead rotates. I’m going to test next with the Ethics spinning inserts. I have a dozen of them on Black Eagle shafts. I will post results of this over the weekend!

cantexian likes this.
  5. IH122

IH122 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second the ranch fairy, I've watched a ton of his videos and am also on the same track as you with the single bevel, I think this will be advantageous for elk hunting this fall.

SkylarPreston and cantexian like this.
  6. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using single bevels for years, the penetration is amazing. The last deer I shot, looked like the lungs went through a blender. The deer in the photo was hit in the rear, the arrow penetrated 24" through the ham and exited behind the left shoulder. I will only use single bevels now. FEMAL.jpg I don't normally shoot deer in the butt, This one was 25 yds. away and turned just as I hit the release. He did only go about 50 yds. The broadhead was a Helix 1-1/8 cut.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The science of single bevels is unquestioned. The only question some have is if it is truly necessary on deer.

Honestly, if honest, us single bevel users (raises hand) must admit they're made more for when a shot doesn't go perfect. Like when you pull a shot slightly and hit shoulder or impact ribs on entry and exit....heavy weight, high foc arrows tipped with single bevels those type of impacts or occurrences don't blink. Where they might appear to be inferior is when you ten ring em, slip between ribs, hit lungs and clean exit. While blood trails are easily followed, they can seem less than the massive, light weight expandables on the market...but like my 10 pointer last year, he didn't make it 100 yards and died VERY quickly with that exact shot.

Are single bevels necessary? Depends on one's approach to hunting...but no, a field point slipped through the lungs will kill a deer....lethality isn't the question one must answer.

cantexian likes this.