Sighting in troubles

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cole62895, Sep 9, 2012.

1. cole62895

cole62895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,
    I just got my new bow and set up and I was sighting it in and started coming across some problems. The ten and fifteen yard pins went good. But when I tried to do the twenty yard pin it wouldn't quite move up enough to bring the shots down. Are there any special tricks to sighting in multiple pins? It is a true glo with four pins. The 60 dollar sight. There wasn't a name on it an no box in the archery store. What should I do? Are there certain ranges it fits best at?
    Thank you
    Cole

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure I totally understand the question. Do you just not have enough elevation adjustment to get your 20 yard pin sighted in?

If that's the case I would ditch the 15 yard pin. Go 10-20-30-40

3. cole62895

Dislikes Received:
    I thought about doing that but I have no reason at all where I hunt to have anything over a 30 yard pin. Should I just go maybe 10-20-25-30?

4. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    That would be better.

5. Boognish

Boognish Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    why not just 20 & 30? I might even go with one 20 yd pin if I knew there were no chance to shoot past 30

6. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would do 20, 30, 40. Reason being I personally would be practicing much farther out than I would shoot a deer. For example, I personally shoot out to 75yd for practice. I wouldn't shoot a deer past 30yd though. Its better to have them and not need them than need and not have right?

7. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want to know why you have a 10yrd pin. doesn't your bow shoot flat enough to use the 20 yrd pin on 10 yrd shots? I set up 1st pin at 20 and anything under that I use the same pin. 2nd pin 30 yrd. 3rd pin 40yrds. 4th pin 50yrds. Always follow your shots. if your shooting high move your pin up. if your shooting low move the pin down... etc. but your 20yrd pin should work for your 10 yrds unless your pulling under 50 lbs

8. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like he is fairly new to shooting a bow. There is nothing wrong with starting at 10 yards with his bow. What works for you is not always whats going to work for everyone else.

9. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with starting @ 10 yards but like S&S said I would make your first pin 20 & go from there. I also hunt in heavy woods where I'll never have a shot over 30 yards but I typically practice out to 60.

10. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah im on the same page with you guys no need for just 10 and 15 yard pin. Id shoot the bow at twenty with the 10 yard pin and see where it hits and go from there, There shouldnt be to much difference inbetween the 10 and 20. And it should make it alot easier estimating distance while hunting.

11. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I see no problem going 10, 20, 30 & 40. He is only in high school so depending on his draw weight he very well might have a noticeable drop between 10 & 20. My girlfriend is shooting 43lbs and it is very noticeable even with 150 arrows. I dont see a reason to go 10-15-20 though. It is pretty easy shooting between pins if needed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

12. cole62895

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting since I was 12, I have just always had one 15 yard pin to shoot 10-20 yards. Now that I have a new bow and sights I am setting up for more pins. My dad shoots just one pin so he doesn't know what to do either. I am shooting a 29 nch draw length and a 60 pound draw weight.
    thanks
    Cole

13. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hi cole,

Lots of good advice here. One thing not mentioned is peep site position. If you're able to slide your peep site down, you won't have to move your site any higher.

Surely, there can't be a noticable difference in 10 and 20 yard shot placement? I'm shooting 72 lbs ant 26" and would be spending alot of money of arrows if I tryed target shooting at 10-20 yards. Try using one pin at 10 w/ two arrows and then shooting two more at 20. If there is no difference in groups, then why clutter up your site with pins that are on top of each other. FWIW, I go with a single pin out to 30 by being dead nuts at 20 with a slight drop at 30. The idea being, if the critter jumps the string, (which is more likely at 30) the arrow will still find its mark.

Anyway, anytime my peep site has moved, it has always moved up on the string. The only drawback is you may run into peep rotation issues.

14. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Use whatever your comfortable with. Don't want to be secobd guessing your pins while on a hunt. Also, how tall are you? 29" is a very long draw for most kids still in school.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cole, you are shooting enough length and weight to go out by 10's instead of 5's. Most modern bows shoot so flat that the sights can't keep up. What I mean by that is there isn't enough drop at 5yd to have enough room between the pins. For instance, mine can go 10yd all day. If I try to go any closer in distance between my pins, the pins touch.

Most archers I know add pins to add distance. For instance, I went from a 3 pin to a six. Why? Because I wanted to accurately shoot past 40yd (20, 30, 40). With six pins I could go out to 70 and have pins at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70.

I want to shoot even farther out than that but, 6 pins is just too much in a sight window. I'm going to go with a single pin adjustable. Either a CBE or Axcel. I'll switch out to my current sight for next deer season.

I personally do not see any reason other than to shoot farther out to add pins to your sight or change sights unless you are wanting to gain yardage.

16. cole62895

Dislikes Received:
    I am 6 feet. My span though is longer than my height.
    Thanks for the info

17. ALL4HUNTIN

ALL4HUNTIN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like he mounted the sight to low.. I say that because there are 3 sets of holes when mounting the sight to the riser.. Raise the sight mount up to the next set of holes and you will not have the issue. When I was setting up the wife's bow, she had same issue. her first pin (20 yd) was in the lower 1/3 of the bracket, slid down really low.. I moved the sight down to the next set of holes and the first pin (20 yd) went to the upper 1/3 of the bracket giving her way more room to adjust her 30 and 40 yard pins..

Does that make sence ???????????

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  18. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    PSE in the only company that does that.

19. ALL4HUNTIN

ALL4HUNTIN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I mean on the sight... The sight bracket has multiple holes in it.. I know my slider sight has multiple holes in it.. It's not a PSE..

20. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha. PSE actually has three different mounting points on the Riser of their bows. Haven't seen many sights with multiple mounting points other than for length. What brand is yours?