Sighting in Question (HHA 20/60)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jeremy/PA, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am working on sighting in my King Pin. I have the 20 yard setting in, but moving out to 60 I have some questions.

When you shoot at 60 yards, what are you looking for to say "that's in"? Are you looking for height to be correct even if you are off left and right? Or are you trying to get consistent tight groups in the bulls eye?

Last night I was grouping, then I would scatter left and right and then I would group again, then be off, but my height was right on.

I am coming from and Optimizer which I did at 20/40 and that was easy. Thanks!

2. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Elevation would be the most important, but I waited til I could consistently shoot a group before setting my tape. Just my 2 cents.

3. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also the biggest thing for me was keeping the same anchor point and not indexing my sight housing with the peep since the whole housing moves when you move the sight.

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with above. I typically do the 20/40 method but you have to be very precise. Make sure your 20 is perfect and then do 60 over the course of a couple days. If you find that your slightly to the left or right at the longer distances you typically can adjust your site a little bit to fix but not too much as it will then affect your 20 yard shooting. In that case, you would have to do a small rest adjustment.

In your case it sounds like your close, I would try to get that good group right in a 2-3 inch circle to be good.

5. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    check to see if all the nuts and bolts are tight on your sight housing i was having a similar issue with my king pin last year and then i noticed that my sight housing had a little play. I tightened a bolt took away the play and it was consistently grouping made my left right adjustment by french tuning then once i had everything inline i set the tape.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I recommend. Take a blank tape and put on your sight. get 20 dialed in with windage and elevation. One satisfied mark it. Go to 30, adjust slider and shoot it till you are satisfied. Do the same for 40, 50 and 60. Find the tape that line up with your 20, 30, 40 50 and 60 marks.

It takes longer but if you don't consistently shoot 60 yards its a little safer. I usually go with the 1 inch per 10 years rule. SO a grouping if 6 inches would be within scope at 60. I strive for better but I think thats reasonable.

7. Jeremy/PA

Dislikes Received:
    I watched a video on YouTube and what he did kinda was like what you do copperhead.

He sighted in at 20 perfect and then moved back out to 60. From there when he thought he was good, he took one of the sight-in tapes and then the numbered tape and laid them next to each other to see if they lined up. If they do, he says you are good, if you are off then you need to keep shooting.

So like I said, I was grouping at 60 and thought I was on. If I do the method above, my 20 and 60 numbers line up on the proper tape to the sight-in tape.

I am probably way over complicating this, but I want it to be perfect. I want to practice at longer yardage and don't want to fight with it later if I wasn't exact the first time around.

8. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, when I got back to 60, I really just concentrated on height. I was grouping great but my height was spot on, so I went with that. It worked for me, I have the right tape.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ Works really well!!

10. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot for groups. When I get 2-3" groups at 60 I write the number down. Shoot the next day & make sure everything is the same. Then before I put the tape on I shoot my broad heads to make sure there on with the field points. Then once satisfied I put on the tape. Takes all while but it's worth it & you get plenty of practice.

11. Jeremy/PA

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I have it dialed in now. I did a little of everything and it worked out for me.

I shot 20/40/60 and made note of the numbers on the sight-in tape. When I was satisfied, I matched up the numbers to the tapes and used the one that matched perfectly.

I then went out and shot at random yardages (say 22 and walked back to 54) and I was touching arrows. I did this across the board from about 20 to 60 and everything was right in.

Thanks for all the input!

12. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used the 20/40 method. I had a very hard time sighting in at 60 for whatever reason (form probably) and went through several sight tapes over the course of a few weeks trying to hone it in. I eventually gave up and tried the 20/40 formula and it worked out perfect and its been dead on ever since, even at 60.