Sighting in My Bow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Flooper888, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Flooper888

Flooper888 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 5-pin TruGlow sight, and I have been working on sighting it in. I am consistently shooting low these past couple of times I have shot. When you are shooting low, do you need to move your pin up or down? Also, I went to get it sighted in at a range with a professional. He watched me shoot for about 15 minutes, adjusted my pins, and I began shooting all my arrows into the middle 3 rings every time. Now that I have brought it home and have been shooting a couple of days a week, my accuracy seems to have changed. Is this just because I got a new sight and they sort of "settle in" after you sight them in or is something wrong?

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if shooting low you need to lower your pins , its posible your shooting sting has stretched , keep an eye on your ata and nock height after you get it dialed in again

3. Flooper888

Dislikes Received:
    Okay so follow the arrow? Meaning if it is shooting low, move the pins down and if it is shooting high, move the pins up. And okay I will go get it sighted in again this weekend probably. Is that a normal thing for a new bow to do? Stretch the shooting strings?

4. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The rule is to follow your shot when moving your pins; If you shot low, lower the sight. If your shot left, move the sight left.

The sight doesn't settle in. The cables and string do though. It's called creep and it'll change the tune of your bow as the string and cables age. They should settle within 100 shots. Once you've shot that much take it back into the shop and have them put it back into factory spec.

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just as i said in in little less words.......:p

6. lokarz7

lokarz7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been taught to chase the shot with your sight or reticle. If it's high, raise the sight and chase it up. it seems counterintuitive but if you think about it you have to lower aim more to get your pin on back on the center.

7. Flooper888

Dislikes Received:
    Yes the logic of all this makes sense. Now that my bow has settled in, I'm gonna take it into the shop and re-sight it. That should help hopefully

8. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't put the cart before the horse. Make sure it's in tune before you start trying to sight it in.

9. Flooper888

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by in tune? As in the peep hole being in the correct place and stuff?