Sight recommendations

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Frankiecruzer, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I need some recommendations I’m looking at the Black gold rush 7 pin, the CBE Tactical hybrid 3 pin, or the HHA optimizer lite 1 pin. I currently shoot a truglo rival hunter DDP 5 pin. Should I keep what I have or get some thing else. I’m in Maine, probably going to shoot less that 30 yards, but I’m from California and want to shoot some mule deer, elk, or pronghorns. Or should I get some new arrows, I currently shoot 250 Carbon Express mayhem hunters. Thank you all for your advice!!

Semper Fi

dstouffer likes this.
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All good brands. I am familiar with all three sights.
    Of the three you listed the CBE is way more sight for the money than other two. Not even close.

3. Frankiecruzer

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I appreciate it

Semper Fi

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Black Gold Single pin slider. I have not tried any of their multi-pin sights, but the quality of the product is top notch. Although, going to from a 5 pin sight to the single pin, I would think a 7 pin sight would be too many. Black gold offers several three to five pin sights that also function as an adjustable slider with bottom pin. I would look into those if you are wanting a multi-pin sight.

5. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I literally have tried almost every sight known to man. I keep coming back to HHA sights. I love the tetra. It has a bright pin and has awesome adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Frankiecruzer

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all responses. I keep eyeballing the CBE engage hybrid 5 pin.

Semper Fi

7. Mitalbara

Mitalbara Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

8. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really like as clean of a sight picture as I can get, so a 3 pin hybrid would be my choice over a 5 pin. The 5 pin fixed you already have is going to do everything a 5 pin hybrid will do, unless you plan on taking shots over 60 yards. Even for elk I think having a 20, 30, and 40 yard pin would be fine. If the shot is over 40 you'll more than likely have time to dial it to what yardage you need. JMHO.
    I currently run a single pin HHA for 3d shoots and a 5 pin fixed for hunting. A 3 pin mover is my next choice...or possibly one of the Option sights that is a single pin but has a swiveling head that turns it into a 5 pin fixed. I'm pretty intrigued by one of those too, exactly what I prefer now but in one sight. Decisions, decisions.

dstouffer likes this.
  9. Frankiecruzer

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I was just liking the idea of practicing at distances more that 60, I would never take a shot on an Elk that far. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Semper Fi

10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha. A 3 pin mover will still have you shooting beyond 60, but with a cleaner sight picture. Really just comes down to what you prefer. I shot a 5 pin fixed for 20+ years before finally deciding to try a single pin mover for 3d shoots. Now I absolutely love the lack of clutter fewer pins provides, but still want more than one pin for elk hunting. Many times when calling them in they end up moving after I've already drawn and I just prefer to be able to put a different pin on them quickly verses having to hold higher or lower with a single pin.
    Honestly, take a look at an Option sight too, the best of both worlds IMO.

11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the Black Gold Ascent Verdict 5 pin and cant say enough good about it. I was going to go with a three pin bc I was worried about having a crowded sight but that was all for not. Clean sight, easily adjustable and from what I understand, great customer service.

cantexian likes this.
  12. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the CBE TL3 and couldn't be happier with it.

13. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I upgraded to an HHA Optimizer Lite this year and that sight is sweet. Easy to sight in, easy to use, and accurate as can be!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cant really go wrong with any of those choices. Id probably lean towards the Black Gold just because I've shot in the past.