Sight for V3X. HHA VS SPOT HOGG.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunterz93, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Bowhunterz93

Bowhunterz93 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Newb
    So I decided to sell my whole VXR setup and go to the v3x. I know all the tetra sights will work with the new bridge lock design because they say so on their website. Spot hogg on the other hand is hard to get a clear answer on whether there is enough windage adjustment due to shifting sight to center of the riser. That being said I like both sights and I am torn between the fast eddie xl and hogg father. And the tetra 4 pin and tetra max 4 pin. Anybody with any input on these sights would be much appreciated...... also curious if the spot hogg 3 pin is better now than the previous 3 pin post they used to sell.

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a HHA guy, great products and CS. The spot Hogg with the triple stack has my interest tho, from my understanding the spot hoggs will work with the V3x riser. Call them and talk to tech they’ll tell ya flat out.

3. Bowhunterz93

Bowhunterz93 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In your opinion is the tetra max worth the extra money over the regular tetra? They seem awful similar, same goes for the hog father and fast Eddie xl

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends if you shoot two different types of arrows, the Tetra max comes with an extra sight tape ring so you can swap out for another arrow. The S.H. I’m not too sure on, I think it’s mainly for adjustability with the dove tail, but that adds weight.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The only differences between Tetra and Tetra Max are the removable wheel and the magnifier on the sight tape. Unless you plan on experimenting with multiple arrow setups, I would skip the Max and go with the standard Tetra. That's what I have on most of my bows.

Bowhunterz93 likes this.
  6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt want to drop a load of cash on the Max, so I went with the regular Tetra single pin, I dont switch arrows ... it has been a very good sight .... over 15 years now using HHA ... never used a Hogg .... I can see the usefulness of the Max for those who used it for lets say deer, then a different arrow/BH for elk, etc. ..

Bowhunterz93 likes this.
  7. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went with the spot hogg fast eddie xl on my v3x, so far very happy with it. Bummed my CBE didn't fit, but I was happy to go back to spot hogg.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion comparing HHA to Spot Hogg is like comparing a volkswagon to a tank. I feel the Spot Hoggs are much better built sights. They're durability is legendary. If you're looking at moveable sights, the options that Spot Hogg offers is pretty awesome. You can mix and match heads on their sights to get the combination that works best for you. I started with a Fast Eddie with the double vertical pin. Love the sight as it allows me to set the top pin at 25 yards and the bottom falls around 38 yards on the wheel so i don't need to touch the wheel and adjust from shots 20-40 yards.

That said, I recently switched to a 60lb bow that is a bit slower than what I've been shooting (getting older sucks... haha). I'm going to buy the new triple stack head and go back to a three pin setup, but still have the option of moving the top pin to shoot from 20-80 yards or so.

You can get a single up pin, double up pin, the new three up pin, plus the standard heads with horizontal pins in 3,5 and I think 7 pins if you're really feeling crazy.

About the only draw back I can see with spot hoggs is weight. They're a bit on the heavy side compared to many. But again, they're bullet proof and built to last a life time.

Bowhunterz93 likes this.
  9. Bowhunterz93

Bowhunterz93 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I spoke with spot hogg, the fast Eddie and hogg father will both work on the bridge lock. However only the single and double stack housings will work well they told me because the 3 5 and 7 pin housings are too big and will not allow for enough windage adjustment. The woman for customer support told me that their design team is working on a product to fix this that is similar to HHA's infinite adjust bar. She told me they think they will have it completed in the next couple months and will have it on the market. Hopefully they have it available for the great American outdoor show in February id like to check it out there. I think I'm gonna go with the fast Eddie.

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping to go to that show too. But I dunno with all this rona business.... lol.

You'll like the Fast Eddie. One word of advise. The adjustment bolts that hold the rack onto the sight are very, very sensitive. They're set by Spot Hogg. I'm a bit of a dork so I usually take my sight apart in the off season and clean and re-lube the rail as it does get some dirt in there during the season. Getting those screws just right to have enough tension to secure the sight and not vibrate, yet loose enough to be able to turn the wheel with little effort is a bugger. Not horrible, just be aware... haha.

Bowhunterz93 likes this.
  11. Bowhunterz93

Bowhunterz93 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input! I think I'm gonna go with yhe fast eddie everyone seems to like them that has them .

12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Fast Eddie xl. I do like it. Built like a battleship, but it doesnt fit in my bow case unless i slide it all the way back. Its kind of annoying. One time I completely forgot to slide it where i have it setup and for (middle dimple). Another time i didnt get it tightened all the way and i ended up taking a shot at a deer missing it by a lot. I discovered the loose sight after scratching my head on how i missed a 20 yd broadside shot. I may go back to the Fast Eddie and ditch the dovetail (xl) model. Also unless you use the setscrew to tighten the dovetail in a fixed position, the knob that comes with the sight is big and you may have problems with clearance for quiver. I had to fab some spacer brackets for mine.

13. Bowhunterz93

Bowhunterz93 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, so after having time to realy dial in what I want out of my bow as a hunting setup and wanting to get into competitive shooting I decided to go with a uv3 scope. I just got my scope in the mail along with the hinge release and I realy do love it those guys at ultraview truly know their stuff.... that being said I'd like to branch this post off in to a different vs conversation since I'm now only looking for a sight base not a scope... I've been leaning towards the axcel lanslyde, any thoughts?

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Having owned both sights I would disagree with this statement wholeheartedly. Both sights are built like tanks. The HHA is far from a "Volkswagen". I'm pretty rough on my gear and have had exactly zero issues with my HHAs, and I've owned quite a few of them now.

Spot Hoggs are great sights and built to last, but HHA is every bit as rugged and durable.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Did you get a Bee Real grip to go with that scope? :chewy:

16. Bowhunterz93

Bowhunterz93 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No I'm not realy into bee real grips, but I do like watching chris bee tho his kansas buck video was wild

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting HHA sights for several years now. I like them a lot. Coincidentally, I recently bought a Mathews VXR and it has a HHA Tetra 4 Pin sight on it. It's an Awesome sight and I am loving that bow too.