Sight for spot and stalk

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by indynotch50, Jan 31, 2012.

1. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 4 pin .01 pins. I'm a big fan of the sight, however, I need more.
    Also, the stars are aligning for a spot and stalk mule deer hunt in September.

I was thinking a 5 pin, all .01. However, will a single pin be better? I have never had a problem with picking the wrong pin, or judging distance between pins.

Any help folks?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your used to a multi pin sight, comfortable and dont have issues with it then in would think now is not the time to be changing it. I say add another pin to the on you have or get something like with more pins.

Now in theory i like a single pin for spot an stalking out west....here is the theory. You spot you stalk, you get to were you think your close enough...you bang out a range on the range finder, you set the sight to wait...and wait, he gives you a shot you kill him and life is good. here is the practice, you spot him you stalk him you get close you start to range him and mulie doe you didn't see is 15 yards closer in some sage brush, she busts you while you ranging him...he stands and you have to get a shot off quick. do you have time to set the sight? Sometimes it works out that you have all the time in the world and sometimes it doesn't. The key is being comfortable with you set up to handle both situations.

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have plenty of time to get comfortable with a new configuration. My worry is that ot will start to move away and i stop him 10 or 20 yards firther than what i set my pin at, but its too late. Is that real life or one off case?

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope that is real life. You have to adjust mid stream without a sight adjustment and the means adjusting your point of aim when you cant adjust your pin.