Sight change

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by keithp, Feb 16, 2015.

1. keithp

keithp Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I currently use a single pin adjustable sight but have been kicking around the idea of going to a 5 pin sight.
    So lets say that I range a deer at 25 yards should I use my pin gaps for the 5 yard increments or should I use my 30 yard pin aimed at the bottom of the rib cage and allow the arrow to climb into the kill zone?
    What is your take?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the reason I like the single pin. But tfox in here des his pins 22, 28, 33, 38, 43. That's something to think about if you're worried about pin gaping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. keithp

keithp Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Why the 22, 28, 33, 38, and 43 yardages?

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because you will not see much drop with 3 yard difference. Using your 22 at 25 will allow you to aim right on target.

Even with a single pin unless you adjust the sight every shot you still have to estimate where to aim.

I prefer multi-pin sights because I dislike adjusting my sight for every shot. I do use an adjustable but it's a 3 pin. I use 20-30-40 but can adjust for longer for practice or if I ever head west and need to be able to. From 25-35 I just use my 30 and adjust my aiming slightly. I practice a lot and never from the same yardage marker so I have no surprises in the field when I get a shot.

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    3 pins for me: 20 35 and 45. I can shoot out to 50 with no issues. I have less clutter, less chance of using wrong pin and can shoot in-between yardages easily. I have a single pin HHA and can't get myself to hunt with it. I fear I will be adjust the pin from 25 to 40 when the biggest buck of my life simple walks by.

6. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking on going with single pin sight. My max distance is 35 yards it will make more sense going with a single pin.

7. cashcropper

cashcropper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a single pin but when hunting set it at 35 yards and can shot 0-40 and stay in the vitals.

8. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the black gold ascent sight. Best of both worlds.

I have the AXT driver 4 pin. I like it because I like to use multi pins for hunting and the slider for 3D or distance.

My pins are 25, 35, 45, 55

Anything below 25 I just put my 25 yard pin on it. There's not enough drop or rise to make that much of a difference.
    If it's at 30 yards I put the pins above and below where my aiming point it. Same for 40 yards.

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 4 pin set at 20, 30, 40, 75, then a mark on the bottom of my housing for 100 (latter 2 I don't use for hunting, only practice). But there was a nock on episode about this and he recommended instead of using the 40 pin to shoot 35 use the 30 pin. Figure out how much of drop/rise there will be through practice and it becomes automatic

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whats your setup. I thought having a multiple pin site years ago was a big pain to me. Why have all the guess work when you have a deer presenting an opportunity and sometimes you only have seconds. With my setup I have a single pin HHA site and I hit the same spot out to 30 yards. I just know if I get a super close shot to aim a tad low when in a tree.

Whats your current draw weight and the arrows you are using? You really shouldn't need that many pins but it depends on the arrows/arrow weight as well as far as how much drop and when they start dropping

11. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I do as well

12. keithp

keithp Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am using a Truth 2 set at 58 pounds draw. Trophy Ridge single pin sight. Beman ICS hunter 400 with a 125 grain G5 broadhead.
    I have the sight marked in 5 yard increments from 20-60 yards.

13. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a single-pin Spot Hogg, and I love it. I set my sight at 30 yards, then I go 20 yards and see where I have to adjust my aim point, and do the same for 40 yards. It's all about practicing a lot and being confident in your skills IMO.

14. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to single pin a few years back and love it. If you go/stay single pin, make sure you practice enough that you know where you arrow will hit at various distances. I have my pin set at 30 yards, bulleyes. I know exactly where I need to aim for 10, 15, 20, 25, 35, 40 yards.

Believe it or not, at 10 yards, I use my 30 yard pin right on the bullseye and I'll hit bullseye.. try it sometime. You wil be amazed that 10 and 30 yards is same pin, but 20 yards is different, higher pin.

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean too sound like an a$$ because it's a legitimate curiosity, but what's the point of having a movable pin if you just leave it set in one spot and teach yourself to gap shoot?

I've considered a single pin slider several times and I always come back to this question when I research them and how most people use them.

16. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I set mine at 25 and am good out to 30 could go to 35 but no need too. Anything further I move it to the yardage I'd be shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would use my pin gap if i was in that situation.

18. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Part of it is that when hunting you only have a matter of seconds to make your shot sometimes. Most of the time when im' hunting, I dont have time to use the rangefinder and see that hes at X yards and then adjust my pin. Doing all this, your also moving in the tree which the deer can bust ya. The point is, finding that one spot like other guys said.