Sight body and pins maxed out, still having problems

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by DevilDog, Mar 10, 2013.

1. DevilDog

DevilDog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, I was trying to sight in my new Bull's Eye Saxon 3 pin sight. I usually set my pins at 10 20 and 30 yards. I went to set my 10, shot a few groups, and after raising the sight body and pin all the way to the top, I'm still almost 18" high. I tried moving back to 20 and used the same pin, but am still almost a foot high. I'm shooting 2" or less groups, dead over my aim point, just VERY high. My arrow is sitting perpendicular to my string, no rest clearance issues, no problems with my release. I'm using an Alpine Ruckus, set at 50lbs DW with a 28.25" DL, 65% letoff. Anyone have an idea? Thanks

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to change your nock point, re level your rest, and you will find what you seek grasshopper

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mmm, Hmm somethins out

4. DevilDog

DevilDog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking i should start with about an inch up and go from there?

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When you arrow is nocked, where does it cross your Berger hole?

6. DevilDog

DevilDog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No, it's about half an inch low. The top of my shaft just crosses the bottom of the hole.

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Rule of thumb, or a good starting point, is the center of the shaft passing through the center of the berger hole. However, it doesn't mean you can't deviate some. That being said, I would start there. Like Ben said re level the shaft/rest with it resting center line through center of berger hole and go from there. Good luck.

8. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly.

9. bnoyle

bnoyle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How does it shoot a paper tune? Something is definitely off. I just went through this when I put on a new sight...but I was the opposite direction...I was way low and out of downward gang adjustment. Turned out that at some point the retention screw on my rest came loose and it was bouncing all over the place between shots...it also expained the bowling ball sized groups I was getting at 20 ;-)

I would look at rest and nock point and go from there. Small adjustments to one thing at a time.

10. Wait-N-Pines

Wait-N-Pines Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a similar issue but mine was left to right problem.. Needless to say I had my rest adjusted and all problems were solved.

11. DevilDog

DevilDog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I adjusted my nock point, re-leveled my rest, still high. I took it to my proshop and was told to move my peep UP to lower my groups. This doesn't make sense to me, I would think that if you raise your peep, you would have to lower your anchor to bring your pins into proper sight picture.

Im getting concerned of how much I will have to adjust my anchor because of these tuning measures. Right now, I can hear my field point slide down the shaft of my previous arrow at ten yards, and two inch groups at twenty. I REALLY don't want to lose that consistancy.

12. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When you re leveled your rest, where does the shaft cross the Berger hole?

13. MNHUnter191

MNHUnter191 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    check your arrow across the berger hole. then level it out and paper tune it. form isnt the problem something came loose if you could shoot before. your rest is probably waaaay low or waaaay high i am not familiar with the bow but your setup is off if your that off. you need to paper tune it (the paper CANT lie) and that should get you close. i have seen people walk in and tell me that their sight is way off and when i looked at it they took it to some pro shop who played with the rest in stead of just moving the sight so now the bow grouping but 8 inches off. if your consistent then do not change your form.

14. DevilDog

DevilDog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm starting to doubt my pro shop. He said RAISE my peep to lower my groups. I tried it against my better judgement and lost an arrow... Even though that happened, I did notice a drastic change between my point of aim and point of "impact"(i saw how much higher it flew, just lost it in the weeds). I know that lowering my peep will change my anchor, but centering my sight pin in my peep is reflexive enough to me that I can adjust to a new anchor.
    And MNHUnter191, I was going to bring my groups to within about 2" of my point of aim before taking it to the paper, using Easton's tuning guide.

15. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DD -

You mentioned having moved your anchor point, move it back to where you feel comfortable with it.

You should move your peep every time you move the nock point on the string.

The relationship between your eye, and your anchor point should never change, neither should the vertical distance between the two.

With a modern compound bow, your arrow should be near level (90* to the string, assuming the string is plumb when you clamp the bow into a vice) and centered in the Berger hole as a starting off point when tuning begins. Now that your arrow near about where it belongs, get your peep back where it belongs, and you should be able to adjust your sights from there.

Hope this helps, let us know if there are any other issues to iron out.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

16. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When looking through your peep, where does the arrow end up in relation to your face??

17. DevilDog

DevilDog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ChuckC, my anchor is my middle knuckle pressed into the upper rear corner of my jaw. That help?

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If at all possible, could you have someone take a picture of you at full draw. This may help us help you :tu:

19. DevilDog

DevilDog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely! Not sure why I didn't think of that before. I'll have some up by the end of the day.

20. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't quite picture it but the lower your arrow ends up (further away) in relation to your eye the higher that sight has to move to line things up. The closer to the eye the arrow is anchored the lower the sight ends up needing to be.