Sight advice

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Recluse, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Picking up my new Hoyt in a few weeks and was wondering what a good sight for under $200 is. Would appreciate any brands I should steer clear of too

Is there a benefit in going with single pin vs multi pin? Or is it personal preference ? I’m leaning towards single pin ...

as always, thanks for your feedback

2. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from a 5 pin trophy ridge sight to a single pin HHA and my accuracy improved UNBELIEVABLY. Honestly, I was a decent shot, but this single pin sight has had me driving tacks. I spend all offseason practicing out to 60 yds and it helps me zone in on my 40 or less hunting range.

The cheapest HHA I think is 150$

Good luck to ya

Recluse and Fix like this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Vertical is the way to go. I had a HHA and got rid of it for a static vertical that I modded to have 2 pins 20 & 40 and it's all I'll ever have.

Recluse likes this.
  4. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Trophy Ridge Hotwire, it’s within your price range and all metal construction. Two fixed pins and one adjustable pin. I find it gives you a little of both worlds, three pins keep a fairly open sight picture with the ability to dial in to exact range at longer distance

Kenneth Jasinski and Recluse like this.
  5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can get an Black gold whitetail or mountain lite under that price.. lots of sight for the money.
    Also a CBE tactic if your trying to save some cash. I like the the MGB better of the two by far.

6. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. This forum is awesome. Picked up a Black Gold Ascent Verdict (single pin). Can’t wait to mount it on my bow in about a week and a half

trial153 and Fix like this.
  7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great choice

Recluse likes this.
  8. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which Hoyt did you get

9. Recluse

Recluse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Axius Alpha

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me it depends on what type of hunting I'm doing. I have a 5 pin on one bow and a single pin adjustable on the other. Both have positives and negatives. If you have minimal adjustments to potentially make, I like the single pin. Less to look at clean sight picture. If you're walking in more open country and could shoot from 20 - 60 yards on short notice, the 5 pin might be better.

My 5 pin is the Trophy Ridge react and single pin is the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie. Spot Hogg is not under $200 but the Trophy Ridge is.

11. Kenneth Jasinski

Kenneth Jasinski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is a personal preference, it you like have multi pins and not wanting to have to move a slider as a deer is walking in. Multi pin sites are good since you dont have to have some else to do while a deer is walking in. I have always used a multi pin site, there are pros and cons for both, Since bows have been getting faster over the years the pins get closer together on a multi pin and for me i have trouble closer to dark since they are so close they sometimes blur together, One guy said about the Trophy Ridge Hotwire, two fixed and one floater. I think i may be going to that this year or next. You can get it onsale sometimes for about $130. Goodluck!

Mod-it likes this.
  12. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got this for $120. First time trying a singlepin sight. Can't wait to try it out.Time to start practicing. 20200807_211000.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I do have both : single and a 4 pin set up, my main set up is a HHA single pin OL5519, with the 3rd axis extension ... I shoot better with only one pin to concentrate on, I want a .019 Tetra, but dont want to spend the cash right now ... I have a fairly fast med. weight arrow set up which I prefer over a heavy arrow slow poke .. I leave it set at 25 yds when in the tree .. I am good to 40 yds with just a tad of hold over (I hold level on a deers back at 40 yds, drops 9" )... with this 25 yd set up I'm good from 5-40 yds and NO ADJUSTMENT during crunch time ... this is not to say I havnt moved it to a specific range setting when I could, but it is not needed with my set up/shooting style ... I have used a single pin for over 20 years and am deadly with it and have killed multiple of dozens of deer using it this way .... I believe if one is 260fps or faster, the set it and forget it will work with most as long as you PRACTICE with it and know your trajectory and 'kill zone' ....

14. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been a fan of mult pin myself. I Like a slider for when Im elk hunting especially if there are going to be longer shots. Lot of personal preference in this choice. Also hard to go wrong with a Spot Hog or an Axcel

15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What style of sight is absolutely personal preference.
    I much, much prefer a 5 pin fixed for elk hunting. They can come in from different directions causing you to adjust positions to keep the wind in your favor, spook when you draw and end up moving and then you can possibly stop them again at a different distance, so many variables. I like being able to quickly select a different pin and not mess with adjusting a mover or holding high/low.
    In a tree stand or for 3d I much prefer a single pin. There is no comparison to a single pin for the sight picture IMO.
    My favorite brands I've used are HHA and Montana Black/Gold. Spot Hogg makes quality sights. I also find the Option sight to be a very intriguing idea, but they are pretty spendy.