Shoulder replacement

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by vitalzone, Dec 18, 2017.

1. vitalzone

vitalzone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there anyone out there that has had shoulder replacement? If so were you able to shoot a bow after? How long did it take?

2. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't have a replacement but a major repair about 4 years ago. 2 years ago I went to 150# crossbow and can do 90% of the things I did before surgery. A lot depends on the Dr.'s ability, how bad the shoulder was and how the individuals recovery goes.

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like chieffan, I didn't have shoulder replacement but I did have major surgeries on both my shoulders. I always shot at 60lbs, but now after surgeries and my age, i`m shooting at 56 lbs. After surgery, do the rehab, it takes time but you will get your strength back, not all of it but 90%. Best of luck to you, keep us posted.

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally haven’t dealt with it but have a friend who has. Don’t skimp on the rehab! He got lax on his and it lengthened his recovery time and very well kept him from reaching his full potential after the surgery.

5. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had right shoulder rebuilt back on May 10, 2013. Bone reshape, tendons reattached, cuff repaired and 2 tears in the pec muscle repaired.
    Told the PT that my goal was bowhunting elk on September 1. She helped me push to the max and I was on the side of a mountain shooting 65# hunting elk.
    I was 52 at the time, so it’s possible. Follow your PT and let them know your goal.

6. vitalzone

vitalzone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! Just the kind info I was searching for. I’m 61 now but was told I needed replacement 3 year ago. Dropped my weight to 50lb and still hurts like heck. Can’t practice the way I want. It’s my bow arm. Thanks again