shoulder hit?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hoytreflex, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Hoytreflex

Hoytreflex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok, so I need some help on this one. I was out today and shot an 8 point it was about a 35 yard shot it was slightly quartering away. I took the shot and watched it run for about 60 yards and lost sight of it. It seemed like it was a good hit the way it ran. I waited 45 minutes and got out of my stand to look in the area I hit it. I didnt find any blood where I hit it so I walked about 20 yards down the direction it ran and found my arrow broke in half about 6 inches up from the broad head which was strange to me because I pull 60 lbs and shoot a 29 inch arrow. The arrow had a bit of meat on the end and a bit of hair on the tip. I scanned hard for blood. ( dont get me wrong I was pretty much on hands a knees searching) I cant find any blood on its path it ran and all i have is part of the arrow so i backed out. Im going to be searching through out the week but I really only got about 6 inches off arrow in it and no blood...any thoughts?....dead deer or just a flesh wound...? seems like i hit in in the shoulder and it broke it off by running hard..:(

2. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer can survive a single lung hit. If was quartered and you hit it in the shoulder there is a good chance it made it. In my experience, meat on a broadhead and no blood means non lethal flesh wound though. It tough to say but it won't hurt to look just to make sure. Sorry to hear it

3. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A shaft broken like that is usually just what you said, the near side leg shears it off as he runs off. I bet the deer is dead within 100yds of where you found the arrow. Grab some flashlights and go get him.

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see how you can judge your hit by "the way it ran", but from your description of what happened, that deer is still roaming the woods, looking forward to the rut. lol

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From past experience I'm going to side with early in. I'd say he is sore but still on the hoof. Take a good look though to make sure.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have a dead deer somewhere. Having 6 inches of arrow plus a broadhead still in it. If the force it took to break the arrow didn't cut something vital running around with the broadhead will continue to cut with movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Love the responses, from guaranteeing a dead deer to a deer with a sore shoulder... Fact is with the given information no one has a clue where your deer was hit. All I know is when you release an arrow you owe this sport everything in your power to exhaust all options to recover that animal. If you have 6"plus of penetration that animal bleed some you need to work harder to track, try to follow tracks. Are dogs an option? Good luck.

8. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like he said...

9. Hoytreflex

Hoytreflex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks, I'm well aware that I owe everything to the sport. I love the challenge and reward. this is the only time i haven't been able to find a deer I've arrowed the same night. I'm hoping i can find something tomorrow. this is just a different situation than I'm used to dealing with. really discouraging but thats all part of hunting. i love the challenge and hope i can get the best out of the situation..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No kidding. It's the internet, and folks are simply guessing based only on a description of what took place. What else would you expect?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  11. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how it unfolds today

12. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Usually if you hit shoulder, you know it....loud thwack! When arrow hits....good luck!

13. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Someone should get masterhunter involved in this I bet he can find it from his house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk