Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Should We Hunt Urban Areas?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ruteger

ruteger Guest

So much devil's advocate in this thread

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow this thread is a train wreck.

But nothing is ever lost..So lets get back on topic. Should we be allowed to hunt the urban areas. My response would be yes as long as it is legal and can be done without harming the safety of another human being.

I am a meat hunter and keep what I kill. I don't shoot everything I see and try to take 3 year old or better deer. I grew up with very little and the bounty that nature provides us is good. We should take advantage of that when in alignment with local and federal laws. At the same time we should also be mindful of others and do as much as possible to lessen our impact to our neighbors. Am I ashamed to be a hunter? Not at all but at the same time I don't don't want to infringe on someone else beliefs.

That being said if I were allowed to hunt an urban area and only take does would I? Absolutely! So anyone else believe we should hunt urban areas?

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go kill a mithical albino.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  4. ruteger

ruteger Guest

The greatest thing about hunting to me is the feeling after you've sat in your stand for 20 or so minutes, and mostly everything forgets you're there and goes about its normal business. You get to see everything in its normal state with no human interference, and there's something very peaceful about that to me. There's nothing else in life that I've found that gives me that feeling, so if someone only has an urban area to hunt or uses urban areas to hunt during the week so they can squeeze in a hunt after work to find their own enjoyment of nature then that's great. And the meat tastes great, too, especially when you let it hang for a few weeks. :)

5. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    already covered numerous times just read in thread.

6. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Naaahhhh.........last weekend of rifle in NY. Spent the weekend filling the freezer. Shoot-Butcher-Repeat.

Tired but worth it.........my new Barnes reloads passed with flying colors :)

7. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone want to chime in on why we never see guys lobbying for the ability to hunt small game in the suburbs??

Does no one care about the overpopulation of rabbits and squirrels?? Surely the ticking time bomb of disease is a threat to their overall health as a species!!!

Oh yea...........no one really cares about any of that. They just see big racked bucks trapped in tiny funnel wood lots and pretend their fighting for the health of the herd.

Remember folks.........If we don't kill 'em.........They could die!!! [/southpark]

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: Stop...just stop...the idiocy of it all is getting too epic to even get you an argument at this point.

9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably the same reason you don't see 20 shows on the outdoor channel dedicated to squirrel or rabbit hunting.

Is it already not allowed? I've seen on here where a few people get special permits to hunt deer but is the same required for small game? (Serious question btw)

10. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Sarcastic fun aside........my point is serious. It goes directly to the OP's question.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think hunting urban areas is a great idea.
    I hunt in town and in the country both. You need to be a little more aware of your surroundings in urban areas, that's for sure.

12. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This! Times a billion.

13. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

EXACTLY!!!!!

So it's not about overpopulation, herd health, fear of disease, and all the other smoke screens of noble BS cliches guys rattle off like a reflex when crying that they can't shoot the big buck they see behind Dunkin Donuts every morning eating out of some old lady's bird feeder.

The lengths some guys will go to avoiding this OBVIOUS fact is hilarious.

Just be honest man. It's OK, everyone knows anyways.

14. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    So literally your "experience" is more or less opinion? LOL

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There aren't very many people that hunt rabbit or squirrel anymore, the ones that do have plenty of land to hunt them on, generally speaking. Since squirrels and rabbits aren't generally considered a public menace from traffic hazards or causing a ton of private property damage like deer do in urban/suburban environments...I don't see or expect to see many municipalities coordinating special hunts to fix a problem you made up to be snarky.

Besides, predation on both species by natural predators is still viable in most cases in those areas. Everything from avian predators to common house cats still predate on both species. You seem to have missed (ignored) the post I made back several pages where I stated it wasn't all about disease but multiple reasons including damage, collision, etc.., instead you insist on clinging to an inane rebuttal of disease. Overpopulation has a lot of other problems and I guess you need to be reminded that a lot of hunters that utilize these areas don't even focus on the bucks. The areas I hunted with family back years ago, we only took does. For us it was about filling tags while serving a purpose, namely contributing to the program sat in place for population control. If you want to keep refuting that as a reality and keep clinging to the "confined bucks" BS, go ahead...I don't think anyone here expects a valid or serious argument from you at this point anyway...we have too much experience with you at this point. (Yes that was meant to be snarky) :lol:

16. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting urban deer is way to easy, I can see why you choose the hard task of blasting them from hundreds of yards away.

17. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I would think that would all be subjective to the area your talking about. Maybe overpopulation wouldn't be the same as it would be in some areas but there's only so many deer the soccer mom's are gonna hit before they raise a stink. Does that mean it's really overpopulated, no, but there are areas where some control is needed. Why else would they give out the special permits?
    Disease would be another one. We can't feed, bait, deer here in Illinois because the reasoning is it'll spread EHD/CWD too much. So again you have all the soccer mom's goin out and feeding the deer because they think they are pets. Does that mean it's gonna wipe out every deer around? No, but in this state the biggest area that's effected by those diseases are up north around Chicago, which is mostly urban/suburban area.

So those problems are there, but agreed they're probably not a huge problem.

Of course people are goin to want to hunt those areas, but the same could be said about what pieces of land people buy for the sole purpose to deer hunt on. Everyone wants the best chance to kill what they consider a trophy. So would you rather hunt on say ground the Lakosky's or Drury's owned or the ground you or I hunt on. Most people wouldn't pick our ground because they know there's big deer with the other choices.

18. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]I also love going out in my back woods for some small game hunting. They're tame too. Lol

19. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Many urban areas only allow bowhunting, and not rifle hunting. So that kind of eliminates most people's opportunity at small game hunting. Pretty much common sense.

20. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    That is a beautiful thing.

There has to be nothing quite as soothing as slipping into your stand as stealthy as possible and slowly watching as your surroundings return to their wild daily lives as if you weren't even there.

Watching as the little ones play in sand boxes and fly around nature in their swing sets as their mother keeps a watchful eye on her young while hanging laundry out to dry. A mature buck might even emerge with a plate of raw meat for the bbq pit that sometimes large numbers of them gather near.

The buzzing of lawn mowers, trimmers and blowers soothes your nerves as the splashing from the swimming pools takes on a calming rhythm.

The wildlife is as diverse as it is plentiful.........canine, feline, and the occasional glimpse of the elusive koi peaking up from it's kidney shaped plastic little slice of heaven.

As you sit silently among the deepest of natures hidden treasures your mind can't help but admire the way your climber grips a creosote soaked telephone pole. Suddenly out of the corner of your eye you notice the motion lights on the back of the strip mall being tripped and your heart races as the sounds of cloven hooves on blacktop quickly approach. You ready yourself and go through your mental checklist.........you've ranged that garden gnome so many times the yardage is tattooed on your brain. Your shooting lane is slightly blocked this day by a rudely discarded bicycle but that's how things go in the wilderness, you have to improvise. You notice that if all goes well you can slip an arrow into the tightest of openings between the garden shed and the horseshoe pit.

Just when all of your innate predator instincts and skills have brought to the moment of truth against the most intensely guarded prey there is you feel the cruel cold splash of Murphys Law rain down on you as the auto sprinkler system sends your worthy adversary painfully just out of reach into old lady Johnsons yard aka "The sanctuary". As you watch him eat hand tossed apples as darkness dulls his sillouet you take solace in the fact that even if you didn't connect you still had a GREAT wifi signal to play candy crush soda with.

:)