Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Should We Hunt Urban Areas?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Dec 5, 2014.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't funny how you NEVER see guys chirping about being able to hunt in the suburbs for anything but deer. I have never once seen guys lobby to open squirrel season up in the cul de sacs of America.

Why can't people just be honest and say they want to cherry pick these big protected bucks that they KNOW are trapped in small areas??

It's always the "health of the herd" and "disease" and "population control" Blah blah blah LOL

If all there ever was in these suburbs were little does and fawns you wouldn't hear a word from hunters about it.

2. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Couple things here and I'm done, I try not to comment on these kind of pissing matches often. My statement was somewhat tongue in cheek but not entirely. You HAVE worked hard to have the things you want in life(at least from what's been posted on here). That's respectable. I would never compare my life to anyone else's, nor do I have ill will towards those who are more successful in any aspect of life. However you seem to take your success and views and use them to belittle anyone on these boards who see things differently than you on a regular basis. Why not just let others enjoy their successes as much as you seem to enjoy your regardless of whether it's something you like?

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never have lived in a city or a suburb...I live so far out in the sticks that to me, they are all "city deer". I had an aunt and uncle and cousins that lived in KC and we hunted some of the parks and lake property in the suburbs around KC...deer there were grossly overpopulated and needed some measure to control their numbers. Maybe you can refuse to accept that as a reality but to continue to do so makes your argument look pretty ignorant. "Trapped" or "tame" isn't the issue, there has to be some control measures and hunting is the most well rounded solution.

If deer in these areas are not over populated then I would agree no hunting is needed.

Things change. Along with human habitation, the environment changes and the "natural setting" that was there before that created a more balanced situation ceased to exist and turned into a sanctuary. At least that's what generally happens. Sure there are hunters that will try to take advantage of reality and use hose same points to argue access but that doesn't negate the reality of the situation either. It's not BS in either case.

It's not just about that but those are some of the most arguable points. There are also many other good points to be argued like collision, rampant over browse and property destruction. Those are complaints and reasons for suburbanites to want hunting allowed as special draw events, etc...

Sorry bud but the world is far larger than your narrow point of view on this matter.

4. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have me confused with someone else?? Who have I belittled for not being successful in life?? I don't even know what that means :lol: as everyone's definition of a happy life is different. I've ALWAYS said just be happy with what you have and if you want more make it happen. I wish nothing but the best for everyone who is willing to work for it.

5. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

One of us has lived in the area we are discussing for 30 years and directly in it for over 10 and one is offering an outsiders opinion. I'll take my first hand experience on the matter over opinions any day. I know the truth and have lived it so it's not really even a debatable subject to me.

I competed in BBQ in KC this year. We had a blast out there but man there are some SKETCHY areas around that city.

6. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My public service announcement.

[​IMG]

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    That's a laughable response...

8. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my last post, hopefully.. you keep asking how you belittled anyone, and I have you're example. The OP posted a story about a fellow hunter harvesting what he feels is a buck of a lifetime, but instead of sending him words of congratulations you spew out negativity toward him. The negative comments being found more easily in your original response, and even some within every other response you have made on this matter. Everyone has noticed it, you're just blind to it.

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't the Burbs and the city the same thing?

Sent from my Z665C

10. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure what's going on in here... I'm sorry I lost the time I just spent in this thread.

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The county in which I hunt actually wants us to bowhunt the suburbs. They have extended antlerless season into March. The insurance companies love when we kill lots of deer in the burbs.

12. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Yet it's 100% true.

13. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    The OP of this thread is Justin. Are you confused again??

14. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in a suburban environment. I use tact and discretion to not draw unwanted attention to the legal areas I have written permission to hunt. I fill my freezer with does and bucks of my standard. Do I see a problem with that? Nope

15. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The original poster of the subject, try to keep up.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    And about as relevant as if I'd stated the sky is blue.

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing he either didn't fill his tags or took a deer of a smaller caliber than he felt justified.

Same thing happened several years back when he visited IL and didn't connect. He seen a few but never connected and felt that it was enough reason to justify IL hunters as having a herd that makes the hunter rather than the hunter that makes his hunt. Case in point, go read Rick James threads on his two bucks and note where atlas chimes in "yet another hunter made better by a big buck state" or something to that effect.

He's a mini rancid crabtree, yet his contributions are lacking where rancid at least had a few worthwhile contributions.

18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    The subject of this thread is should we hunt urban areas?? I guess you are confused as to what thread you are posting in as well as the content.

You are again falsely applying comments to other people, either on purpose or you just aren't comprehending some of what's being said. I don't "keep asking" how I belittled anyone. I asked ONCE how I belittled anyone for not being successful in life (which someone else suggested I did).

Try to keep up ;)

19. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    You don't value 30 years of first hand experience over an outsiders opinions??

LOL...........OK

20. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

Another guy upset by the truth. The location debate was settled long ago through the many members we all have known for over a decade. We have seen so many examples of it both ways it's silly to even discuss.