Should I hunt this place?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bporter, Oct 19, 2015.

1. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So my dad has 16 aces that was supposed to be corn this year. Well apparently the farmer as dad says, "the farmer sucks" and this is the result. A pic from my tree stand.
    [​IMG]

About 5-8 feet tall THICK. Stuff. Literally some of the thickest stuff i have seen. I can't even see trails in and out of there but quite a few signs on the perimeter.

Here is an arial shot of the property. Only able to place a stand here is marked here, I have had this stand here for literally 4 years I think I have hunted this place a total of 6 times in those four years.
    [​IMG]

I am thinking this could be a decent spot for the rut as I am thinking this could be a great bedding area I don't have any cameras up, and like I said I don't hunt it much.

What are you all thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The tough part would be seeing anything with how high the grass is...then again, you might get a giant in the rut that comes through checking it out.

What app are you using? I like the way it looks. Is it easy to navigate?

3. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The app is Huntstand. I also agree that it would be tough to see in as you said how high it was. You should be able to walk the perimeter and find some trails coming out of the woods though.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Probably too late now, but had you seen it this time last month you could have mowed your own paths through it. Give them easier travel through it but plenty of cover for bedding. Might still be worth a gamble, especially if you're not going to hunt it much. What's it going to hurt?

Can you not hunt that little wodded edge on the NE side?

Without cameras all you can do is sit for either a hunt or an observation sit and go from there.

5. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. I have the ability to walk around the outside if the field and get to my stand through the neighbors yards. No the ne side is another persons property.

And yes the app is huntstand. I have up I. Scout look after the update.

I was thinking about sitting there one time just to see if there is any action. I will say in pervious years seeing 10-15 doe at a time per hunt was not uncommon. I just was new to bow hunting and didn't know that in November does bring in the bucks hehe. I do know from talking to the neighbors, there are/have been some nice bucks running around out there. I was just wondering if this type of spot would be something to try out in the rut. Having a north to south wind, I think this may not be a terrible place to spend a few hours.

6. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I will try it out. As of right now all I have access to is field edges, no real woods. It stinks, but it could be worse I suppose.

Thanks and good luck this season guys!

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would set up on one of the tree edges along the field with the wind in your favor. Good Luck!

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Guess it depends on what else you have to hunt. As said before it stinks you couldn't mow paths before season. If you need a place to sit to give your other place a rest or for a different wind, never hurts to try. Deer love bedding in that stuff. Cant kill them from the couch so if the options are this or not hunt or over hunt 1 spot, I would try it.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Again, it's a bit late. But if you are the only one with rights to hunt and it looks the same way next year I would consider a big tripod stand out in it somewhere and a few ground blinds after mowing some routes through it.

Just depends on how bad you want to hunt it I guess.

10. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am in my 6th season bow hunting. I have access to field edges only. This one is one of three fields I have access to. The other two are cut bean fields that will bring in a few does and during rut, there are some bucks as well. I share those other two fields w only 1 other person but I would say we hunt them both 2 times a week. This place hasn't been hunted more than 10 times in 5 years. Other years, when it was beans, there were tons of does, haven't seen many bucks, but I also have never hunted this place in November. I don't know why, just haven't.

I think I will give it a shot, I mean if I have to, I can cut some this down, and maybe utilize it for late season too.

If I were to cut some of it, how would you suggest me doing it? You guys are awesome and I really appreciate the help!!

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously you would want to cut it to direct them within bow range. You'd just have to figure out where they are coming from, bedding down and then going to. Stay out of the bedding and alter their travel routes in and out a bit with some cleared lanes about a 4 wheeler trail wide. 16 acres is a lot of CRP field though, something I'm not real familiar with.

12. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it is a great chance for me to observe this weekend, if the wind is right.

Thanks everyone as always

13. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer love that tall stuff. As said I'd set up on the edge with the wind in your favor. Maybe some corn, if legal, to draw them to the edge for a shot.

14. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'm in sw ohio so I think I will see what happens.

15. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bushhog some strategic paths. They will use them and it won't take them long to start.

16. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is all surrounded by standing corn as well. So yeah I think bush hogging may not be a bad idea

17. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id hunt it dude looks like there's some decent fencerow timber clusters at the north-north east and the east part of your plot, I've always had good luck with fencerow timber, just seemed like it was hard to put a stand in a BAD spot. Good luck

18. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep...bushhog your own funnel. It works.

19. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will see what I can do this weekend, I am going to rent a bushhog, now I need to figure out where to place the trails.

You guys rock, hope i can post my first buck story sooner than later now :rock:

20. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That looks like prime bedding cover.As others have said,I would bushog trails though it and have them all come down to one exit trail,