Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Should I add Speed Nocks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Sep 5, 2023.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seeing VaBowMan's thread of monkey tails when I responded I noted that I'm not running any speed nocks.

1. Do they really benefit much?
    2. Should I add them?
    3. I've never installed them myself, how to? Which ones should be used?
    4. if not lined up correctly do they goof up the tune / timing?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The short answer is no you should not add them yourself. The gains, if any are not worth the time and effort it will take to install them on a strung bow, and test and reposition them to get any gains.

The better and I would say only option is have them added when you order a new string. The factory specs for strings include speed nock location providing that they recommend them for that particular bow.

0317, NebMo Hunter and INbowhunter like this.
  3. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While not a necessity, I believe in them. I've chased FPS for years since I've got such a short DL, although now, speed isnt top of my list.
    I've seen FPS increases with them installed, alot of it is trial and error depending on the bow/type. I would expect anywhere from 4-8 FPS depending on the sweet spot. Single-cam, speed nocks are installed only on the cam end. Dual-cam bows you install on each end of the string but distance from cam can vary depending on your bows "sweet spot".

Whether or not you should add them is a question for yourself, do you need the extra MINIMAL FPS?

4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20230905_112404.jpg you CAN gain some speed with them, 1-5 fps maybe .. the string must come off, and using a cotter type of pin/paper clip thru the end loop, the speed noks are then slid onto the string OVER the end loops (a tad bit of string wax can help) ... I have 'em on my Ritual 33 by Pine Ridge, Nitro XL speed buttons .. .... never chrono'd it before they went on, so I couldnt say if I gained anything, also they do act like silencers to an extent... very quiet, fast, great shooting bow ..

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023