Should deer drives (gun hunters) be a legal hunting method?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Oct 23, 2014.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In Sota's defense not all states separate them out like such....no more than a separation isn't made between compound and long bows. But that is an entirely different topic for another thread.

2. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a problem with it. You are going to have the good and the bad on both sides of the fence here.

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Makes it "easier" for that hunter to kill "his" (probably named) buck.

Admit it guys...jealousy is the #1 factor here. Drives, crossbows, bait...its all because it makes it easier for someone else to kill "your" buck. No more beating around the bush.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't name bucks. I don't feel deer belong to anyone I would say congrats to anyone who shoots any deer as long as it is by legal means

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like the seagulls from finding Nemo......

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    For some this may be true...other as I've stressed are personally against something if asked for their opinion 100% out of bad experiences they've had. I've never had a good experience with drives, which taints my view of them. Would I ever sign a petition (personal not a presented vote by DNR) or fight to ban them, heck no....but if asked my personal opinion of them I'll respond. Same with crossbows, I see more good in allowing them than bad personally, but I also understand people's opinions against them...not everything is for selfish motives, but yes this is a sport entrenched in greed or selfishness for many.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Part of my perspective about crossbows is because their use for hunting in Minnesota is by special permit. The handicapped and the elderly only. I would prefer it stay that way

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a pretty ignorant view. I already stated earlier that no legal driver is going to kill "my" deer anyway. My problem with drives is on a fair chase/moral level same as many feel crossbows are a cheat for archery. I think it's dangerous, sloppy and lazy and it's terrible for the deer herd and environment...stinking up regular deer sanctuaries and pushing normally safe deer into danger outside of the intended driving area.

I have to laugh at all those that stand in support of drives because of the camaraderie and because it's fun. Poachers and spot lighters would say the exact same thing. Maybe those things should be legal because they are "fun". As for those comparing it to bird hunting...that's absurd, deer can't fly and it's less dangerous because shots are from short range shotguns and shooting up...unless you're a **** Cheney...which is a good example of how dangerous drives can be even given the safer nature of bird hunting.

Lets face it, the pro-drivers are pro-driver because it's easier and more exciting than due diligence of stand hunting.

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tony was that horse killed in a drive?

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    NOt gonna lie I laughed at this...nice.

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL ... it was killed by a club...the only true way to kill something...everything else is cheating :D

13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    What a relief. I was a bit shaken at first! Nice to see someone still holds true to the purest and highest set of sportsmen's ethics and principals.
    You restored my faith in humanity.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah dude....BUT it was killed on a Sunday when she shoulda been in church.....

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Your right and she wasn't wearing tweed either... I shouldn't have been so quick to pass good judgement.
    She is slob Hunter and heathen.

16. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    But you'd agree they are "your" deer?

Due diligence? Ignorance? I laughed. You have got to be trolling with comments that simple. But yes everyone is entitled to their own self righteous opinion. Comparing drives to poaching is a bit of a stretch but hey when you're opinion is formed by looking down your nose at everyone who isn't a "master" stand hunter and deer manager like yourself I'd expect nothing else. Stand hunting is still far more dangerous than deer drives and gun hunting in general but don't let facts get in the way.

Bad for the enviornment? lol OK ;) What deer herd is it bad for? All of them? You have intimate knowledge of the types of herds we all hunt? The fact that you think deer drives are easier than stand hunting pretty much proves you haven't participated in many drives.

Keep telling yourself that deer hunting is fair, it's not and never will be because they are deer and have tiny brains. Yes your morals are so much higher than the lowly deer driver because you feed the deer and name them and "manage" them and when bucks reach an adequate size to be brag worthy they are "harvested". So noble of you. smh The more hunters I communicate with the more I realize that hunting is doomed.

Tony & Trial I swear I saw the horse twitching a little so I basically had no choice.

17. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 2 biggest take aways from this thread.

1) Hunters like to argue.

2) Ty said taint, and no one noticed.

Carry on.

18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
  19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Aren't you the one that hunts deer with dogs? Sorry, I've lost track of everyone that's posted in the thread.If so I can see why you're so militant against any anti-driving point of view. Sorry, your opinion is unimportant in this discussion.

20. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Although I will not disparage anyone for how they hunt, I don't care for the practice of deer drives. One can hunt deer or one can drive deer. One takes skill, the other doesn't.

SCFox