Should deer drives (gun hunters) be a legal hunting method?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Oct 23, 2014.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    True my opinion is as unimportant as anyone else's in this thread. I'm far from militant I'm just not a fan of anti-hunters which by definition is what you are if you're anti deer drives. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Yes I enjoy hunting deer with dogs. Dogs, like the one in your avatar, have been a tool used by hunters for centuries for all kinds of game species but I guess you only want them used for the species you see fit. Shocking. Can I use them for squirrels? Rabbits? Fox? Hogs? Only birds? No deer? Why are deer so special? You seem to value them over other game animals for some reason, I'm guessing it's the useless bone that grows out of some of their heads. Sad really.

2. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Yes the skill required to kill deer on stand is immense ;) It's not really but we like to tell ourselves that. Put a stand in a piece of woods with a huntable deer herd near food, bedding, egdes, or does and sit in it with a good wind and you'll likely kill a deer. Let's be honest it's not that hard. We drive deer occasionally when we get bored of stand hunting by December. With a small group it can be very difficult. You must know the piece of woods and where deer like to bed, get the stander(s) in a spot with good wind and hope the deer go in that direction. I kill many more deer stand hunting than with drives. Just sayin...it's not as easy as some make it out to be.

3. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Beating dead horses like it's my job!

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, unimportant...as I said. Your opinion is like asking a bank robber if bank robbing should be illegal. I'm sure a bank robber can think of all sorts of justification for them to enjoy their sport.

Non-hunter? ROFLMFAO.
    That's quite an absurd stretch. Teddy Roosevelt was anti-hunting for supporting Conservation too I suppose. The Conservation departments are anti-hunting for restricting game harvests by regulations that are based on conservation and ethical/safe pursuit and harvests. Yeah...I'm totally into this "anti-hunting" movement. Maybe you can try another off the wall angle dogman.

5. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    It's not off the wall, it's accurate and let's face it you're no Teddy Roosevelt. You keep saying things as if they are facts when the facts clearly show gun hunting is a safe outdoor activity(drives included) and the majority of accidents and fatalities in hunting are releated to elevated hunting. But like I said don't let facts get in the way of your stereotyping. You have a dog in your avatar you use for hunting game but I'm supposed to be offended when you comment about me hunting a different game species with dogs or when you call me "dogman"? I'm not.

What's funny is I don't do drives or dog hunt nearly as much as I bow hunt or otherwise hunt from a stand i'm just pointing out the obvious. Hunters as a group are a bunch of self centered ego maniacs who tend to think it's all about them, their land, their deer...mine...mine...mine. If you don't do it like them you are lazy, ignorant, immoral, unethical, and whatever else they say. Because their way is the best way.

All your babbling and name calling does is prove that point. Make sure you get your dog out hunting soon, I'm sure at least 1 of you will have an idea of what that means still.

Then google the word hypocrite.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    HAHAHAHAHA Dork!

oh and #3 - If you have had personal bad experiences with deer driving and/or feel they're not amazing you are a piece of crap elitist.

:D

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No...it is off the wall and absurd. Just because it makes sense to your twisted logic doesn't make it viable.
    Where did I make a comparison between myself and T.R.? In a shared appreciation of conservation? So you're saying I don't appreciate conservation? LOL...mmm, ok.
    I didn't say a word against gun hunting, try getting the facts straight before making stupid comments. Sure, stats will show more stand safety issues than with drives...any fact you want can be pulled from cherry picking stats. The volume of people using stands is millions of times higher than those utilizing deer drives, that fact alone skews the results you're trying to tout as "fact". Unfortunately, reality doesn't work that way.
    Hunting birds with dogs and even small game is a different concept than hunting deer with dogs. The difference is in the range of the hunt and the dogs. Deer dogs and hunts interfere with surrounding properties because of the nature of the issue at hand. Which is why it's illegal here BTW. I can't believe (well I can, considering...) that anyone would even try to make a comparison between dogs used in hunting deer vs bird hunting.

Try to wrap your small mind around the fact that I've posted time and again in this thread. Deer drives don't effect me...hows that all about "mine mine mine"? Your point of view in favor of deer drives is what's falling into that category simply because you like to partake in the unethical acts of deer drives and running deer by dog. It's all about you you you and you're upset that someone disagrees.

Lol

Don't have to google it, I'm an educated man but thanks just the same. I'd actually prefer to be a hypocrite than to support unethical crap hunting like deer drives.

8. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I`ve seen some sloppy hunters doing drives, but I`ve also seen sloppy hunters with bows. Taking bad shots and all that good stuff. We do drives, and many times I like to be the one driving as opposed to sitting. Reason being, I see more deer because I`m still hunting. Most of the time we do drives, its with just me and 1 or 2 buddies, we basically still hunt towards eachother. Many times the deer we see aren't all freaked out on a dead run. I can see where people would be turned off by a dozen guys bashing through the woods kicking every deer out into the next county, but just because u are doing drives doesn't mean that's the case.

9. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Yes you certainly come off as very educated ;) especially when you're calling me unethical, lazy, small minded, and whatever else you've come up with. You don't know me from Adam but have determined all that about me because I do a deer drive now and then or shoot a deer in front of a beagle. My point in this thread wasn't necessarily to argue about drives or dogs but as a hunter who does those things in a legal fashion and with respect for my neighbor I kind of get bothered by being lumped in with every bad apple and don't really appreciate terms like lazy, unethical, low morals being slung in my direction.

You do realize the stats I posted are for all gun hunting and most drives are performed during gun season correct? Feel free to link the stats showing all the people killed and injured during deer drives every season.

I thought because of the way things were being generalized here in this thread a far as every deer driver and deer dog hunter that the concept of generalization was understood. In "general" many hunters these days are all about themselves and the way they do things and if you don't do it their way you are unethical, lazy, small minded, or just doing it wrong. If that applies to you or not only you truly know, I believe the QDMA has a checklist that could help if anyone is unsure.

The fact of the matter is deer drives and dog hunting for deer are legal here in VA/NC and are very much traditions and while dog hunting certainly has had it's issues there are 10's of thousands of VA/NC hunters that enjoy it, follow the rules, and have respect for other hunters in the woods. I'm one of them, how can someone be an expert on a topic they have little to no first hand knowledge of and have stated numerous times has no effect on them? I'm just saying folks should know there are many groups of respectable hound hunters and hunters that may occasionally do a deer drive out there. We are not bad hunters, or unethical, or lazy. We simply do something different than what you may be used to in your area. Just because there are bad apples in a group doesn't mean the whole group is that way. If that were true then I guess every bowhunter is a slob who never shoots his bow and runs up to walmart to get some new arrows and broadheads the day before the season and proceeds to fling arrows at anything that moves. That's an equally useless generalization.

I wasn't making a comparison between just deer hunting with dogs and bird hunting with dogs I simply pointed out that you are saying iyo dogs are ok for this but not for that. How many rabbit hunts you been on with dogs? They can't cover some ground? How about a fox hunt? Coyotes and hogs OK with you or no? You don't recognize the slippery slope there? Maybe some group out there thinks you shouldn't hunt birds with dogs, would be nice if other hunters supported you if that day ever comes.

It's worth mentioning that with the newer gps tracking and collar systems for dogs they are becoming easier to track and control and many dog hunting groups are taking the lead on improving relations with landowners and the image of hound hunting in general in VA. Hopefully they will find ways for a long standing tradition to fit into the new landscape of hunting. Deer drives on the other hand are not going anywhere as long as people hunt in the woods and walk. How many articles have you read in hunting magazines or threads where someone mentioned hunting through midday or all day so the hunters leaving for lunch or coming in late might push deer your way? Welcome to the world of deer driving.

10. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    I've had personal experiences with trespassing bowhunters therefore I should feel that bowhunters are not amazing.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    You missed the and/or. I know this may be hard to get, but one can personally not be a fan of deer drives for whatever reason but not feel they're above or elitists in comparison or "own" the deer as you like to put it.

12. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    I don't feel your an elitist or you think you own the deer Ty, I'm simply saying that mindset IS very prevalent in the hunting world today. I can guarantee I have had far more trouble with trespassers, rogue dog hunters, and all around d-baggery on our 87 acre family farm here in VA over the past 20 years than most hunters will deal with in a lifetime. I don't lump every other hunter in with the bad because the good outnumber the bad. It only appears the other way because the bad are in everyone's faces.

13. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey don't let covey get to you man. He's a tool. Pathetic at times. I've seen this before and fell victim to his crap. He's playing with you to get a rise. Probably the only rise he gets these days.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415132328.299336.jpg

14. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is going no where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh it is...
    [​IMG]

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We need to find out if deer drives should be a legal hunting method!!

It will eventually go somewhere.

17. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This thread came and went. Started off a good tread. Then the trolls saw the opportunity and struck.

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

19. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're right. But I did have to make it known the intentions. I felt it was my duty. I wish someone would have told me before I got into it with covey.

20. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

How i feel right now.