Should Bowhunter Education Be Required?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Aug 24, 2018.

1. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some states require the certification if you're a first time big game hunter (SD). MN has a few drawn hunts that require you to take the course. Was it super helpful...not really. But it was a good refresher on some things. Ours is all online and cost $30; took about 2 hours IIRC. Shot placement was a big part of the program.

2. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunter Safety, yes. Specific to bow hunting, no. Which is the way it is in KS and CO where I hunt. Instructed shooting classes aren’t a bad idea, but a comprehensive hunter safety should cover tree stands, weapons, target awareness, etc.

dnoodles likes this.
  3. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I took my daughter to her hunter safety class last year here in Tennessee. Greatly disappointed in what was discussed and how being safe was not covered as well as I thought it should have been. There was a bow hunting video and some discussion on that topic. The video was something that I almost (should have) complained about. Not only was the video way out of date, the hunter in the video used a climber to get up this tree without a harness...I kid you not, the hunter in the video was not wearing a harness nor any fall restraint whatsoever. I love seeing kids getting involved in bowhunting. I think we can all agree here (lol) that bowhunting is something to be passed down to the next generation. We also should be passing along all of the new(er) technology surrounding tree stand safety. How many times a year do we hear about a fellow bowhunter that falls out of a tree? Too many times. I agree that bowhunting classes would be a good thing. As long as it is taught using up to date information and that they also teach to the highest levels about safety.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All hunter's ed/safety should have an archery component. Just to expose new hunters to that side of the sport, if nothing else.
    Unfortunately it's used by states as a money maker- if someone wants to bowhunt and spends the money on a bow and other equipment; they're going to throw another $25-100 at the state to be permitted to take it into the woods.