Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Shooting with limb bolts backed out

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by camo75, Sep 6, 2023.

1. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have always shot my bows with the limbs tight to the pockets. I have been having shoulder issues this year which has led to neck pain from pulling my bow while practicing.
    If I drop my draw weight to 65 pounds and shoot for awhile, will I need to put very many twists in the string to keep it in tune? Never lowered the draw weight before so was wondering how the bow will react.

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my last 2 bows (Elite/Bowtech) are 70lbers, I shoot 'em at 60 lbs (no 60lbers were in stock I wanted) .. with todays bows/limb pockets, the efficiency is still there as you go lower, so lower away ...

you may not need to do anything, except maybe adjust your loop/peep.... I'd drop the poundage and shoot a few bare shafts at 10ft, make adjustments IF needed from there ..

camo75 likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do half a turn at a time on each limb. Should be ok. Ive done it with my elite before for same thing. Didnt have to adjust much.

camo75 likes this.
  4. Chase

Chase Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More folks shoot with them backed out than maxed out from my pro-shop days. Never had issues tuning elites that way, much less any of the other big 3 brands. What matters aside from tuning is that you can shoot it well and that you’re in the woods come fall. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot with limbs backed out these days, 70 lbs bow backed off to 65 lbs.
    I would check the tune but would be surprised if there's much of a difference. Perhaps the arrows will flex a bit differently with the poundage 5 lbs lower but I just really doubt it'll make much of a difference.
    I mainly notice, besides the sight needing elevation adjustment, that the string stop needs adjusted after changing the poundage.

camo75 likes this.
  6. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t done it yet but thought that the timing might change a little and was wondering what needs to be done after backing them out.