Shooting with goggles

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sickleave, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Sickleave

Sickleave Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone use goggles instead of glasses when shooting? When I pull back and look through the peep, I have to adjust my head because I can't line up the pin with the target. When I finally get lined up, the bubble on the level isn't centered.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use contacts until I went with Lasik.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use lit nocks to see where the arrow hits the target, otherwise I would have to walk half way to the 25 yard target to see where I hit.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't find a pair of goggles in the my favored caliber. :lol:

5. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would buy a pair of goggles like the proprietor of this site if I knew where to get them....

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  7. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot both with and without glasses, prescription and just sunglasses and there is no adjustment when switching between them. I think there is some other issue in how your are aiming other than glasses or goggles.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This depends on many factors: What your prescription is, style of glasses that you use, how & where you anchor, etc.

I couldn't shoot with my glasses because of my frames and how I anchored. When anchored, I was looking either outside my lenses or right at the frame, either way, it wasn't good. I use contacts for hunting anyway, for fogging reasons.

10. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had to go from a round frame to a square/rectangular frame to be able to shoot w/ glasses. No biggie.

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just for clarification. So when you were aiming, your glasses didn't extend close enough towards your nose in order for you to maintain vision through your glasses?

This is something I am very familiar with as I made eyeglasses for a number of years. I would categorize this as either improperly adjusted glasses or glasses not sized correctly for you. probably the bridge (part going across your nose) was to wide, and/or the notepads were pushing them to far from your face. Looking at your avatar photo, there should be no reason you wouldn't be able to shoot with glasses if they were fitted properly.

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Correct. Also with my old glasses I used to be able to see two images of my pins, one blurry outside of my lens and the other inside of the lens, because of the extreme angle I was looking through the glass. Wanna see what I mean, just hold your glasses in front of you and turn the so there are hard quartered away one side or the other. You can get (again depending on the severity of your prescription) quite a bit diffraction of the image. Not unlike bow fishing and shooting through water, or looking into an aquarium.

Could they have been fit incorrectly? Sure I suppose. But if my optometrist did it incorrectly, I can guarantee that others do too. I know many guys who've had the same issues. That's why Todd uses his cycling goggles instead of his regular ones.

It's a moot point for me anyway, as I said, I don't wear my glasses hunting because they would fog up all the time.

13. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently got glasses.went out today for the first time shooting with glasses.draw back can't see threw peep. Moving my head around getting frustrated. I slowly drawed back try different spot to rest my glasses thinking they were the problem. My nose would touch the string and my kisser button in corner of mouth still couldn't see.then I tried resting the kisser button under my lip ,and instantly the peep aligned. The sting was still touching my nose but my kisser was lower.I took a few shot and I put up some decent groups.I ended up taking the kisser off ,was sick of it leaving sores on corner of my mouth anyway. If you have a kisser might try moving it.