Shooting tips?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kurveball18, Feb 25, 2016.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips. So i got my new Halon 6 today and was shooting some but I seem to struggle with getting the pin on target. I'm always below the target and struggle to bring the pin up.

The guys at the shop said that its a common thing for guys and thats why they teach people to go from top down to the target. I tried that, but i always seemed to go right past the target and then i'm below it again.

Any tips?

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crank the trigger adjustment screw on your release so it can't fire. Spend a week where you draw, anchor, aim.......without releasing. Just let it settle on the dot and let it float until you become unsteady and let down. Let your muscles reset and do it again.

Repeat 50 times a night and do this for a week........

You need to get comfortable floating in the middle. Anticipating the shot it 99% of the time what causes this. It's very difficult to do aim while also being burdened with thinking about execution and hitting that spot.....so you need to seperate the two and get comfortable just being in the center. The exercise outlined above will allow you to separate the aiming from the executing and should patch things up pretty quickly for you.

3. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I came across this video a few days ago: Webisode 14 - Overcoming Target Panic - YouTube

Not sure if this is your issue. I think it is part of my issue since i'm still a relatively new shooter. I haven't gotten a chance to try using back tension like demonstrated in the video but I think that should help with any accuracy issues i've had. I think i'm "punching" the trigger.

4. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it could be the early stages of target panic kicking in,,this video has helped me a ton.Levi Morgan's Game Break "Target Panic" - YouTube

I also made a bow trainer out of a 5 inch piece of pvc and some paracord,then I taped a toothpick to the top and I use it as a sight and just sit inside and pick out something for instance I could be sitting in a chair and pick out a light switch 20 feet away and then "pull back" on my bow trainer and hold the toothpick on the switch as long as possible while slowly applying pressure to the trigger.
    For me the key to this working is to make sure the toothpick or "sight" stays on the bullseye or very close.

Also if you use a caliber release try adjusting it untill you have a lot of creep,I know that sounds weird but if you can have more movement in your release then it is harder (at least for me ) for your brain to anticipate the shot and punch the trigger.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  5. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, 2 years ago I had target panic really bad and honestly when I got my No Cam last year I would say 80-90 % of it was gone as the bow being so smooth and the solid backwall helped me. Today was the first day shooting a bow since November and i honestly probably shot more than what I should have as I started to get sloppy. I just didnt want to stop shooting as I enjoy it too much. When I shoot I'm going to tone it way down and only shoot a few groups and call it a night. Let me arms build back up a bit as well since my arms are pretty sore now. LOL

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like Rick James solution. Also if you can try a thumb trigger or a back tension release. The Scott Hex is a good starter for back tension. Good luck as I know if can be a bear to shake.

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Biggest reason in my experience for being low on the target and having to fight to bring or keep the pin up is the stance. put more weight back in your stance.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the tool for that job.

Attached Files:

9. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to float around quite a bit, but when I put a back bar my set up I can hold the pin for a good while before it starts to float around. Most of my practice shooting is at 40yrds & like to shoot 3 arrow groups & hold each arrow in the full drawn position as long as I can then shoot. I do 5 groups like this at 40yrds then rest for 10-15 minutes then do it again, I do a total of 5 reps so to speak like this & it has helped a ton.

10. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, Just shows what a few months of not shooting can do. I bet once I get the arms back in shape a bit things will get easier as well.

Another question if you dont mind. Didnt feel like starting a new thread. So when I picked up my Halon the guy said he just finished paper tuning it and he said he had to swap out a shim? and once he did that he got perfect bullet holes. The shop I go to have some pretty knowledgeable guys so i'm not too concerned but is it common to get a brand new bow and they already swapped a part? is that common? I let them do the paper tune and trust them cuz either way, this spring I do the walk back/french tune to get the rest where I want it.

Thoughts?

11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Adjusting a shim is not a big deal when setting a bow up.

12. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We shimmed out all the new hoyts with the dfx cam because they had a large amount of cam lean from the factory.

And have you shot a hinge (back tension)? It gives you a "surprise" shot every time. In reality you can get this with just about every release if you have a good tech to show you or watch some youtube videos on it.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned its just shooting a blank target, not aiming at anything, and just concentrating on a pure release of an arrow.

13. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This may be a dumb question/advice but I'm going to throw it out anyway for the sake of conversation.

If you naturally want to aim with the pin directly below the POI, why fight it? Just set your sights/rest to hit directly above where your pin is sitting. This allows for you to look past the pin and have complete concentration on the spot where you are aiming.

14. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've actually thought about this for myself when shooting longer ranges. That way the pin is not covering up the target.

15. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could create more problems with consistency. If you set your sight to hit the center of the target at x yards, you know where to put your pin. If you sight it in low because thats where you hold, now you might be concentrating on holding it low. If you were punching the trigger before, it might get worse. And idk about everyone else, but when I'm in the field I want to know my arrow will be where my pin is on the target. I'm not saying it won't work.. but...

16. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some great advice above here. Another thing you might want to try is focussing on your target, rather than your pin. The pin should almost be in your peripheral vision, if that makes sense. Goodluck!

17. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Shot early this morning and honestly I shot fine, I was able to lay my finger across the trigger squeeze it off. Shot very accurate as well. I think the reason I had the issue was because I kept shooting even though I was getting tired. When I shot this morning after about 15 arrows I started having trouble bringing the pin up to the target again.

Good feeling that I know what it is and I know my arms will only build up again just shooting more often and stopping once I start to get tired.

18. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear that.
    Anymore I try to keep my practice sessions under 12 arrows and just REALLY focus on making a good shot rather than just going out and flinging 30 arrows.

19. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear. Knowing your limits is the first step in expanding said limits.

20. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in pistol shooting we used to call this a 6 o'clock hold and used it to avoid having the front sight obscure the target. see no reason it wouldn't work for archery as well as long as one was consistent. If I went this route I'd have to have all the pins set up the same way though to avoid confusion in the field when excitement of the hunt occurred.