Shooting form advice/critique- video attached

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Noblacksheep, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been a busy week at work. Finally had a chance to video me shooting my bow at the in laws. Any advice would be appreciated.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/-HETQ6EHVNU[/video]

2. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's difficult for 45 year old eyes to see from that far away, but I'll help where I think I can.

#1. Above everything else...You need to get a wrist strap.. Until you do that, you can't begin to work on proper technique. The reason is because without a wrist strap, you have to hold onto the bow, with a wrist strap, you start working on using your extended arm to get the bow away from your body.

#2. Once you've completed #1. It looks like you're actually squeezing or punching the trigger on the release, although it's hard to tell from such a distance. Most people do it in some form or fashion although we shouldn't.

#3. You can work on your stance a bit. You're leaning forward and your legs should be under your shoulders, you don't have to spread them out so much. I have a feeling your extended arm gets tired after shooting for awhile, partly because you've got a death grip on the bow because you don't have a wrist strap, and partly because you've got tension in your extended arm. You've gotta learn to release the tension in the arm. It's hard to explain how to do it, but when you do it right, you'll know it immediately. You should be completely relaxed and breathing calmly, if you're not, something it wrong.

#4. When you release the arrow, bring your arm with the release straight back behind you, not down. Continue to hold the bow in shooting position until after the arrow finds it's mark.

#5. Don't be afraid to let down...If you're shooting targets. You're doing the same thing over and over, at a point, something will go wrong, or you'll take too much time, etc. Just don't fire even if you know that you've done something wrong, let the bow back down, and start over. When I'm shooting targets, I'm counting. If I get to 5 and still haven't shot, I let down and start over. Target shooters do it quite a bit, everyone has a different number, mine is 5. Yours can be whatever you're comfortable with.

#6. Let it float. Your sight is gonna move, there's nothing you can do about it. Let it float. Relax and let it fly.

Google "how to shoot with back tension"

Understand, I'm not trying to beat you up in any way, only trying to help someone who clearly wants to get better. Just keep practicing, but you've gotta practice the right way. The biggest help for me was joining an archery club. When you have competition shooters around you all the time, they'll offer advice if asked, I've yet to get a bad piece of advice.

Good luck, keep us posted.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No offense but that's just not true at all. How many pros do you see in the lines with wrist slings? My guess is not many. I'm not as good as them but I'm always in the mid 290s and around 35 X for 5 spot and never used a wrist sling. The video link doesn't work for me but the biggest problem I see is grip issues. This is the way I've found to work best for my grip on multiple bows. Hand relaxed and fingers lightly draped around riser.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To me, it looks like your back arm is angled a bit much.