Shooting After Hernia

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hotrod9, May 7, 2019.

1. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just had a surgery to fix an umbilical hernia which is pretty common so I figure someone else here has had it done too. How long did you sit on the sidelines and did you do anything special to get back to shooting gently without risking injury. My wife has a 50LB draw bow that's a 1/2" shorter in draw length than me, would shooting this for a couple weeks help me out before going back to my regular bow or is there something else I can look at?

Any thoughts or opinions?

thanks!

2. redpresto66

redpresto66 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dr told me at least two weeks before shooting the bow. I listened. It worked! I shoot from a blind chair btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Take your time and do not strain that thing at all. I would wait at least 3 weeks before you do . I got mine done like 15 years ago when I was in serious training for various martial arts. After 2 weeks I was right back in the gym wrestling and doing everything like that. To this day it has cost me as that area still hurts from time to time

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. redpresto66

redpresto66 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had robotic surgery btw. Less invasive and quicker to return to action.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They meshed me and the scar still rips if I get after it.

6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. Just take your time and heal completely. I'm almost 72 and, so far, haven't had any problems you guys describe. Looking at knee replacement and cataract surgery in the future.

grommel likes this.
  7. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ask your doctors opinion. Ive had every surgery under the sun and the best advice to give you is heal up, ask your doc what he or she thinks!! Best of luck

8. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Everyone!

9. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’d do physical therapy before I did any activity. Once I built up strength then I’d yank on the bow string.

10. penak

penak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have personal experience with them, but I was considering them when I was looking[​IMG]

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had 3. All mesh patches. They suck but the sooner you get moving the better. Just listen to your body. The last one I had don’t heal as well and it kept me out of the gym for awhile and made me fall off the wagons HUGE mistake

grommel likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shocker do you have any issues with the scar tearing open?

13. SD guy

SD guy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    1st post here. My case is a little different as mine was an Inguinal hernia. In my case the doctor advised me I would only be allowed to lift 20 lbs for 2 weeks following the surgery. To my surprise again in my case he said I would be on no restrictions after the 2 weeks as the mesh was fully grown in and at full strength at the 2 week mark. This was a incision type surgery

BTW for others taking pain killers after surgery, Prune juice may be your friend in terms of getting your system going again. Never had any use for the stuff before. Was glad to benefit from its effects at this time.

While I was quite active every day after surgery my lifting was kept in check. At the ten days follow up after surgery I asked the doctor again about restrictions & he assured me no restrictions after two weeks. Specifically asked about archery and after two he said no restrictions.

Well I gave an extra 3 days to stay on the safe side; This Saturday I decided to give my 65 lb Carbon defiant a try before backing off the weight. To my surprise I experienced zero discomfort when shooting the bow. Still took It easy and have not went into any long shot strings yet. Seems my doctors advice in my case was on the mark. At this point I do not feel restricted at all for any reason 18 days after surgery. Perhaps I am not up to full speed in terms of I get winded a bit early.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Hotrod9 likes this.
  14. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had my two week follow up appointment and met with my surgeon's PA. I have another two weeks of lifting restrictions on weight. the PA's suggestion to me on shooting a bow was exactly what you said SD guy; listen to your body, it will tell you what you need to know.

15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man some of you guys really make it so don't wanna go see if got hernia or not. I honestly don't know if do or not, year or two ago i was doin something at work and had a weird shooting pain in stomach and didn't know what happened. Have never got it looked at but I've also got a little bump now can feel in kinda upper abdomen area. Doesn't really bother me most of times other than just kinda feels weird lifting stuff at work or gym. Never really have any pain other than every once in while I get what feels like a muscle cramp if sit up or pull myself up off ground and abs kinda flex.

Idk I'm heading in for a check up in bout month or so but with you guys talking bout tearing out the mesh or whatever makes me rethink mentioning it haha.

16. SD guy

SD guy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hot rod sounds like you are on track to a good recovery keep us posted. I for one am interested.

JRK it is your decision. When the surgeon looked at my hernia and clarified Yes that is what you are dealing with he shared the approach that would be used to do surgery and what to expect in terms of recovery. Then asked when I would like to get this taken care of. My response was sooner is better. They worked me in early the following week.

I am feeling better than before surgery already. Glad I got it done for sure. I am guessing You would rather get her taken care of now than this fall for example. Who knows maybe they will recommend leaving it alone. Sounds like you really do need to get this evaluated at a minimum & I for one feel sooner may be better. Like to think the Doctor will know best! Wish you well also!

17. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JRK, I would at least entertain getting it fixed. Depending on your health people live for years and years with hernias and never do anything about them with little discomfort, just knowing its not going to get any better without the surgery to fix it. The surgeon actually told me if I don't want to get it fixed it was my decision. However, if it has potential of rupturing, get it fixed immediately!

Honestly the anticipation of the surgery was the worst part for me, I was in and out of the surgery center in less than 3 hours. I needed to really take it slow for about 3 days. I did my surgery on a Wednesday, lounged around through Friday, watched a ton of nocked on videos. By Saturday i felt good enough to take a ride up to my hunting land with my dad, drove some trails, put up a couple of cameras, and did some walking around. I was back at work on Monday. The lifting restrictions are a pain in the butt for a month. I have a week to go yet but I'd say it was worth it still.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The worst part for me was the pre operation. I went to my regular Dr, he referred me to the Dr that was going to do the operation. I am sitting in the exam room when he walked in with his trainee. My regular Dr thought I had to the one in the belly button and one in my groin. He checks me out and does not believe that I had a hernia in my groin area, he tells his trainee to glove up and check me out. I should mention that his trainee is a 20 something smoking hot nordic goddess with long blond hair and blue eyes. Had you told me that a smokeshow was going to be rooting around in my swimsuit area I would have been giddy, given the circumstances it was very embarrassing, kinda cold in the room.

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shrinkage!!! :lol:

jrk_indle84 and Sota like this.
  20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thaks for the info guys. In the long run I'm sure I would be better to get it looked st and if need be get it fixed. I just worry if get it fixed then itvwoll continuecto have problems just becausr of what I do for a living. I'd be able to take it easy enough to get it healed but eventually I'd need to get back to full duty at work and the potential for it to happen again is pretty high. Sounds like you guys that have had it fixed and followed somewhat doctors orders aren't having a problem. Either way like said in long run sure it's better to just get it taken care of. I'd hate to think what happens if let it go then really mess yourself up ha.

Thabks agian for the info.