Shipping my bow via UPS?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by josephmrtn, Sep 9, 2017.

1. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys just wondering what my best option is gonna be for transporting my bow from my parents place in Texas back home to New York? I don't trust the airlines so Im thinking of shipping it via UPS or FedEx. Would it be best to put my bow case inside a box or just ship it in my Plano hard case with some locks on it? Is it worth buying extra insurance on it? Overnight or Ground Shipping? Just looking for some feedback from guys who may have done this in the past. Thanks!

2. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What airline are you flying?

If you can check a bowcase cheaply, I'd still consider that.

If not, use FedEx, UPS, or USPS and insure it for what it's worth. Keep in mind, most places when insuring over $500 it will require a signature when it's delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josephmrtn likes this.
  3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fed Ex, I did have 2 bows shipped to me a couple years ago and it was all good! And like Matt/TN said, get signatures!!

josephmrtn likes this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When I traveled to Wyoming to hunt I shipped my bow in UPS without any issues. I put it in a padded soft case and then inside a box that was designed to ship guitars and guitar cases. Worked like a charm.

josephmrtn likes this.
  5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    UPS. Have shipped my bow to new England for the last 10 years to hunt with my brother and never had an issue. I pad the bow and accessories with clothes and travels fine. When I used a PLANO case I wrapped the case in heavy shipping cardboard. having shifted to an SKB case the cardboard wrap isn't needed but I do tape down the latches and use a cable lock around the case and thru the handles as a backup to the two locking latches.

Only bit of warning...if you let the girl at the UPS store pack your bow case in a big box with the shipping peanuts it will cost you 3-4 times as much to ship. made that mistake once.

Reason for shipping vice carrying on the aircraft is to make sure it is there before I fly. if it didn't get there I would then carry my backup bow. I will often bring the bow back as luggage because then its not critical if the airline misplaces it for a few days.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would send the bow as luggage on the plane. Then again it would not cost me extra for a second or 3rd piece of luggage and it would have the bright yellow sky priority sticker and would come out before the rest of the luggage. It sure sucks getting on an airplane every week but some of the benefits are worth it.