Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Sheds for my dog

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by rt9bil, Jan 31, 2012.

1. rt9bil

rt9bil Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I did some shed training with my lab and things went great. I only found afew small sheds but we both had a blast. While training him I used to by 8" antlers from a local pet store for him to chew and play with to get him interested. Well, I still have the 3 small sheds I found from last year. I have been using 2 of them for training purposes but I was wondering if the 3rd would be okay to just let him chew/ play with? Should I clean it with something?

2. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just boil them. I give my dog small ones all the time

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3. RATHER-B-BOWHUNTING

RATHER-B-BOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you plan to continue training your dog as a shed hunter i would completely throw out the idea of using the antlers as toys or anything other than training. Im not sure how serious u take teaching your dog this skill but if u exchange the reward after the find, for the antlers being always available will make the training much more difficult for yourself, and confusing for the dog. My two cents.
    Good luck either way

4. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This.

I've heard this advice given many times. I have no experience with the situation though.

5. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with the training aspect of not allowing it to be available all the time. My dog, however, has a decent size shed I gave him 3 years ago that he still chews on on occasion. I didnt do anything special to it, just walked in and threw it to him. He even sleeps with it sometimes. They are about the only thing that will last with him as he is a 95 lb. american bulldog and can shred any other toy in minutes.

6. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've probably got 7-8 hurried in my yards. He loves them. Last forever and its the only thing a pitbull can't destroy. Even those black kings get torn up

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. rackaddict

rackaddict Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My lab is also trained to find them. she only gets to play with them if she wants to carry them back to the truck the day she finds them! Otherwise they are decorations for my home! :lol: