Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Shed hunting with dogs

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by Justin, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As many of you know, I got my wife a black lab puppy as a wedding gift back in September. I figured since all she does with her is walk around the block and buy ridiculous squeaky toys to play with that I would see if I can train her how to find sheds. Considering I suck horribly at it, I figured it can't hurt and would be a good way to spend some time with her and get outside the house during the spring. I'm not much into pheasant or waterfowl hunting so this seemed like the next best thing.

In any case, she's got a few antlers they she uses as chew toys right now that she really likes which is somewhat of a start. I've been playing catch with one of the smaller antlers quite a bit lately to start getting her trained on bringing them back to me.

Now that she's about 14 weeks I figured it was time to really start with some real training and honestly didn't have any idea where to start. So I relied on my old friend Mr. Google and found a pretty cool site called AntlerDogs.com. It's run by a dog trainer that I've read about in several bowhunting magazines and has quite a bit of good info to read through, so I started last night. I also ordered their DVD on training which I plan on watching next week when it shows up.

I'm going to keep my blog updated on my progress as I train her. If anyone has done this before and has any tips or suggestions, feel free to post them here or respond to my blog when I start posting. Shed season is only a few months away and I'd like to find more than 1 this year! :D

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a lab as well. A yellow lab that will be 5 years old this summer. I have thought about taking him for the exercise he would get and company for me but never have.

I suck at finding sheds also but keep getting better every year.

3. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    keep your mounts high on the wall!:d

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I definetly plan on training my puppy when I get him in the spring to hunt sheds. Will probably be looking for pointers JZ when the time comes!

5. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ferg, stick with labs! Pointers are too high energy for a guy that is out working as much as you, a nice mellow English Lab would fit your profile best Fergie;) If not a lab a Bloodhound would be dope!!!

I have three mutts, a Lab and Pointer mix, a Pointer and Devil mix and a Black and Tan Coonhound and Lab mix. Naturally the pointer mixes are skinny since they bounce off of walls, but the Coonhound/Lab mix is a little chubby like me! I want to get her out when shed hunting starts so I can get some exercise and utilize her nose and floppy ears while getting her in shape.

In the meantime I am going to say that this will be a great forum to hang in and learn from the master himself! Duke, we are gonna bug the heck out of you until you crawl into a thicket and never come out!

6. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I think Fergie meant pointers from JZ on training his lab to shed hunt.

7. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm, he wants pointers even though Justin admitted that he isn't very good at it? BTW, I was joking with the comment about pointers:deer:

8. hkbwpro111

hkbwpro111 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A dog trained is worth there wieght in gold for any hunting!

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Justin this is great that we have the shed forum. Let us know how the training is going. Here is a pic of mine this summer when she was a pup. She is still a pup but ALOT bigger now. I had to cut the tips off the shed and file em down a bit when she was little. Where did you get the DVD? She will acompany me alot in the woods this shed season ;)
    [​IMG]

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Crick - I got the DVD from AntlerDogs.com. Training is coming along okay, but with the recent holidays I haven't had much time to get out and work her at all. I'm hoping this snow stays melted off for a few more days/weeks so I can get some training in either New Years Day or the day after.

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info JZ. I checked the cam yesterday, the bucks around here are still packin.

12. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried to get the lab (4 years old when I started) to find sheds with me last year.

Worked with him around the house and yard, he is an all-star in that respect, but in the woods, he could care less. I have seen him step on sheds that I haven't picked up yet but try to get him to notice them.

Will try again this year, at the worst, he is getting some good exercise, the only drawback is occasionally I stay out longer than what he feels is an appropriate time, then he just walks on my heels and whines alot.

Hoping it will click for him this year, but if it doesn't I still enjoy the company.