Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Shed hunting tips

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by snobo4rder08, Mar 2, 2011.

1. snobo4rder08

snobo4rder08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year shed hunting, anyone have any good tips or tricks they can share?

2. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have comfy boots and walk, walk, walk and walk some more.

3. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our woods here are thick and picky, so wear clothes that make it vessible to push brush. I wear sunglasses, to knock down glare, and protect eyes. I also allways have a pair of 10x42 binos on me. may seem like over kill in heavy cover but with that power I can focus "thru" cover into openings behind light brush. If you know your the only guy walking a spot I like to walk main trails first and pick up easy ones, then go thru and walk side trails to beds. Some of the things Ive found in the years ive been successful in cold years the deer will be on the bellies for 22 of the 24 hours in a day, and the beds are the best places. 95% of my sheds are found there. If you can pick the day youll walk pick an overcast day. Like this weekend comeing up I will score points on Saturday and spend it with the family cause its gonna be sunny and nice, but sunday is suposed to rain! That my walking day. I will also walk any peice that I can legally, meaning, if there is twp property that you cant hunt but is open to walking, man youll find some big ol sheds in these places. Also one other tip, deer will winter in the same places year after year, so keep track of where and when you found your sheds, therell be more from year to year. I have seen many little 30 acre spots hold 30 deer, but only one end may be the place that bucks use, thats the shed areas. Remember each buck only has two horns, go find um!

4. kansasjosh

kansasjosh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good tips UP! Another one I have found (depending on the country you are walking) is concentrate on narrow drainages instead of trying to cover huge blocks timber (where there is trails going everywhere). The narrow strips connecting bigger blocks will almost always have a main highway trail. These are much easier to cruise quickly and know you covered them good. I especially use this on lunch break walks. Good luck!

5. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Good stuff there UP, I can relate to your thick cover and everything you said..