Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Shed hunting process

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by DoePeeSteve, Feb 22, 2009.

1. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never gone shed hunting. I just moved where I still have time after work to head to the public lands. How do you recommend I search? I'll be alone.

Should I stick to a trail, cover it on both sides, then go back and start over from the furthest distance I saw from the trail? Should I stick to a trail at all? What about marking areas off mentally as squares and doing say a 100x100 search, then moving to next square? What do you guys recommend, aside from bringing a buddy or a dog?

Aside from Binocs and a backpack (if I were lucky enough to find something), what should I bring?

2. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Was actually curious about this myself. I'm going to go shed hunting for the first time this weekend. What advice can you experienced shed hunters pass along?

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    The main key is finding where Deer are still hanging out this time of year and just flat putting in the leg work. I like to grid my areas in squares. Ill hunt that square and then move on. I have never had much luck on trails but the deer dont herd much in my area. If they do in your area by all means check them. food sources and bedding areas are good places to start as well as in between those areas. I try to think small when looking, as the bigger ones stand out more and the small ones dont, so kinda train your eyes just like mushroom hunting. I like to move 20ft and then check my back trail to see if any was hidden from trees when i was looking forward. Hope this gets you started and good luck :tu:

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice.

5. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find the food.

Find the food sources and trace back to nearby bedding.. sheds should be here first and foremost.

Good luck.

6. shooter93

shooter93 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went shed hunting twice in my lifetime and I never found anything. The last time I was out was about a week ago. I need some advice where to go and to look for sheds.