Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Shed hunting in the snow

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by MObowhunter10, Feb 12, 2010.

1. MObowhunter10

MObowhunter10 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The weather forecasters are calling for 2-3 inches of snow tomorrow where my farm is located and I was planning on shed hunting but now I'm not so sure, How hard is it to find sheds in the snow? I know it all depends on how much I walk and Luck has a major role in it, But i Just wanted to get reassured that it is possible to find them and not just a waste of time.

2. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Luck has no role in shed hunting.

Walking A LOT does.

With that said.. 2 or 3 inches ain't nothing. In northern Illinois guys are out whether there is 2" or 12"... and we all find bone.

We have about 10" on the ground right now... and I'll be out all day tomorrow.

I've found LOTS of sheds with snow on the ground.

3. BOW/zimmer

BOW/zimmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much what Duke said!! Your not going to find them if you not looking for them...I have found a couple of sheds this year and both were barried with snow

Good luck

4. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Duke is wrong... there is a tiny bit of luck involved. I kicked a shed up by accident that was buried in the snow and Tyler step on one that was buried so far this year. LOL

Seriously I agree with both the previous posters. We got alot more then just a few inches of snow on the ground and I found one today again. While snow can be a hinder at time... we have found a lot of snow sheds over the years. Here's a few...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice ATL pics! Very nice finds! I am heading out to try my luck in the snow. Great job!

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We've had 20-25 inches of snow on the ground for 3 weeks now---my shed hunting has been shut down.

7. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think finding them in the snow is easier than finding them on a background of leaves and brown.

Antlers really stick out when they have a white background, we find probably 75% of all of our sheds when it is white out.

Awesome ATL pic's, my favorite finds are with tines sticking out of the snow.

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2 to 3 Inches of fresh snow won't hide your sheds In the least. Getting a foot or 2 of snow and then 20mph winds can hide sheds very quickly. My shed hunting around here Is done for a while until the deer start making heavy trails again In the foot of snow we just recently got. They won't be venturing too far off of the trails being we've got at least 3 to 4 feet of snow everywhere.

I don't care what your doing (sheding, deer hunting, bear hunting, trying to get some). A person needs some luck too!! ;)