Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Shed Hunting Antler Dog picked out

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by Antlermanec, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Antlermanec

Antlermanec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Everyone
    If you don't know by my name etc. We work with shed antlers everyday. Started as a hobby and now is my full time business. Anyway we have loved to shed hunt and actually I take my 3 little ones to the woods every year. Well now we are going to have some help. We have picked out our new Antler Dog from Roger Sigler. He is a Liver colored German Short Hair. He trains them professionally I first found out about them from My brother in law Scott Huschle who hosts Down River Outdoors radio show here. Roger and his Wife Sharon are great people. My pup is 12 weeks old and we will pick him up in approx 4 weeks. I am very excited and he will actually spend his days at the shop. Who knows maybe I can get him to help select my antlers for chandeliers etc. We are now offering his DVD as well as Joe Sheads DVD on shed hunting check them out here

http://www.crookedcreekantlerart.com/Hunting-DVDs-and-Books_c_148.html

Does anyone out there shed hunt with their dog?
    If anyone has any good Shed Pics please post.

Thanks
    Eric Carr
    owner
    Crooked Creek Antler Art

Attached Files:

2. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of pup is that? Lab-mix?

3. Antlermanec

Antlermanec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No mix here he is a full blooded german short hair pup and got the call today that he is ready to roll so now I just need to go and pick him up.
    Eric

4. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So...is he pretty much ready to find a shed when you get him from the trainer? What will you do exactly to keep him sharp?

I have a springer spaniel/mix that I'm currently trying to train.

5. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I checked out his site, I'd love to have a shed hunting dog partner.. Tempting very tempting, I wonder how well I could do training one myself following his DVDs..

6. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know Shed....I'm a little skeptical to buy them but they may do the trick.

Right now with my pup, I'm just focusing on getting her to retrieve a shed that I've thrown. She's doing well but I'm curious how I should proceed.

7. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i was going to say ..how do you train a dog to shed hunt...play fetch with anters...and then hid some around the yard and tell him to go get them...haha ya know..

8. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dog (pure bred lab) loves to fetch antlers, he will find them around the house and yard, but you get him out into the woods and all he wants to do is eat deer poop.......

If I get on a shed, and tell him to hunt it up, he has no problems locating it, but really shows no interest in picking it up much less bringing it back.

But he will keep coming out with me as long as he can, though some days he is dragging butt towards the end of a long walk.