Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Shed antler training for adult dogs

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by JakeD, Sep 27, 2012.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am about to get a 4 yr old female yellow lab. Does anybody have any tips or ideas on the best way for me to train her to shed hunt? Any advice would be great.

2. dstreet

dstreet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going through the stages of trying to train my puppy to find sheds right now. I think you could use the same approach to try to get her to find them. I've posted the videos here. The next video I do might be the most helpful. Part 4 is gong to be about scent discrimination.

3. qlove83

qlove83 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think you could use some the same approach to try to get her to find them
    :whip:

4. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are born to retrieve and it is up to you to just show her what you are looking for. Good luck and stay focused 022.jpg !!!

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been able to do much training with her. She won't get to go shed hunting at all this year. Her previous owner didn't take care of her at all and we had her checked for heartworms. Well, of course she had them so she is in the middle of her treatments right now to kill them all out and she can't have any sort of excercise or excitement until April 4. I know it is killing her having to be penned up this whole time, but at least she will be healthy when it is all over with and we will have more time to train so she can go with me next year.