setting up mineral site

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Turro, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After reading a lot on minerals i decided to give it a try for this season. When the snow was down a few weeks ago I cleared a spot of snow to speed up thawing and prep. I threw a bag of corn and buck jam corn mineral to get some activity started there and get my camera set up for when monster raxx arrived. Today checked the site and was tore up pretty good, which kept ground bare so today thawed nice and scraped around and set the monster raxx and wet it down. Got enough bags to keep site going through the season. I'm looking forward to seeing the results from what I've read about it. Pics didn't load right but hoping to figure out different way. Nothing horribly special for pics since no racks now and all, but even the buck jam and corn got good steady day traffic with up to 5 at once and some cool fighting pics, and looks like some growing bellies. Pretty sweet for what I've seen here anyway for this time of year. The majority of the deer migrate a little ways from here since end of season til spring so figure they'll be coming back when alfalfa starts coming in. Hopefully gonna make some changes and keep them closer in future.

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you will be disappointed with the Monster Raxx! I recently got two of my buddies using it, and all they talk about is how many deer it has brought to the new mineral sites. We put some out on one of my buddies spots 3 weeks ago, and the first week alone he got over 5,000 pics between 3 cameras over brand new Monster Raxx sites.

3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's sweet. I've definitely read great reviews for it and I couldn't resist at least trying for the price. I know I have a lot that come through here, so now looking to take care of them and start working on quality. I really need to get more cameras than just the one but with my wish list it may not be this season. Last season and years past I saw lots of small and medium size racks and maybe a random decent one or two when I was watching the field, and this year with more alfalfa and adding in minerals I'm curious to see how the better nutrition helps. Hopefully getting the land set up piece by piece like this should improve things. I found some of my grandpa's pics and few old racks,and with random ones I've seen I know there's solid potential

4. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a friend with some land he's looking to get better results from too, so pending how mine goes he may be a buying in too. He may try without waiting and from reviews alone too, but hopefully will have some pics to show soon

5. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is one of my Monster Raxx sites from last year that I refreshed this past weekend. They tore up the ground pretty well digging holes in most.
    image.jpg

6. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. I have a feeling this one will get hit pretty good, at least from what's around now, and definitely when all of the others are back around. I'll get some pics of it when I go and check in a week or two. Hoping this warm weather will clear some snow so I can get out and see if I can find some sheds too. Spring can't come soon enough to start getting things in place for season

7. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You won't be let down, I can promise that. It's the ONLY mineral I use an for good reason....it actually works!

8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's some pics before monster raxx, if they load right. Looking forward to seeing how they grow along in summer and any interesting shots. My old trail cams got some decent shots over the years, that's before I hunted and just novelty of getting pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

9. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mineral sites are fun when you got a camera on them

10. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a few of the better pics from my monster raxx site. Was hoping to get some fawn shots but nothing yet. Decent amount of these bucks, quite a few does, that bear, a Fisher, coyote, and my cats hunting. I haven't paid attention before to the racks from the start developing so looking forward to seeing them grow. Should be a few nice ones back from last year.

Attached Files:

11. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is a nice looking bear, do you have a tag?

12. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I applied but no luck. Gonna try and get one at a gas station or something when the few go on sale, if there's any left. I'm probably going to try my camera in a different spot to see what kind of action is there too. Two years ago there was a huge one there and last year it was in the same spot again, and the only people I know that hunt bear for a few miles around didn't get it. I need to get more cameras to cover more ground but lot of expenses came up this year and not quite gonna prioritize for now. There's been a handful of other ones and some cubs throughout the years too. I never really started paying much attention the same til planning hunting now