September in the Rockies apparel

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Novemberfest, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Novemberfest

Novemberfest Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wanted to know what you guys like and use for apparel when hunting the Rockies in late September. Any brands of merino you like? What layering system do you prefer? I'm not a Sitka guy mostly because I don't like the price but are there any other brands you like that are decent without the high price tag. I will likely only be using this gear for a couple weeks every other year or so.

Anyone like SlumberJack apparel? ( I know I can get a good discount from them)

Also looking for recommendations on boots.

Thank you for the help.

2. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a big fan of First light gear for my September elk hunts. Merino pants and shirt and layer with a hoodie and down puffy for those cold mornings. As for boots everybody has different preferences. I have a pair of Lowa’s that have served me well the past few seasons. Lightweight and durable are good qualities but it means nothing if you don’t have the proper fit and break them in.

Hammer1171 and Novemberfest like this.
  3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im a fan of sitka, You will find uses for it. Luckily its light weight gear, cause its worth its weight in gold on the mountain,. There is nothing better than sitka and kuiu, but if you dont want to spend that much that's understandable. Make sure what you choose breathes well and has some kind of 4 way stretch. I rarely wear wool in september. One time we hit a blizzard in Montana in september, and I maybe wore a thin merino baselayer once or twice in 20 -40 degree temps. You really don't get that cold archery elk hunting.

I love danners, my brother loves schnees, and a lot of buddies love kenetreks. Every dollar spent on a good boot that fits is worth it. Also, you will need 2 or 3 pairs, not all have the be the best, but one pair will get wet or cause hotspots and you need to switch them out for a day or you will pay.

Elk hunting isn't a cheap hobby

4. DanyeckAdventures

DanyeckAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. DanyeckAdventures

Dislikes Received:
  6. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been through several systems, ended up with Sitka. Buy once, cry once. Same with boots and pack.
    Check around, you can find discounts.

TwoBucks likes this.
  7. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Not military, have no idea what M-65 is. If it is better than Sitka now I know why wartime expenses are so high.

Have you tried both M-65 and Sitka? Curious to hear the comparison.

8. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run Black Ovis merino layers. It can be found on camofire.com often at great prices, but it looks like Black Ovis is sold out of alot of it. It is great stuff and their pricing is extremely good for what you get. I'm a Sitka fan but the price can definitely deter a lot of guys. LOOK FOR USED. You can find deals everyday if you look in the right places, and guys take care of this stuff. Right now alot of sites have Sitka for 20% off or better, but you can find 50% off or better sometimes in the classifieds of Rokslide, Archerytalk, even on here. Get yourself a pair of timberline pants, a jetstream jacket and fanatic hoody and you'll have an extremely adaptable start.
    As for boots, I have found Danner's to be my personal favorite. I run the Highgrounds, uninsulated because of some sweaty feet. They are far and away the most comfortable boot I have worn, but I have also never paid over $200 for a pair.

Novemberfest likes this.
  9. DanyeckAdventures

Dislikes Received:
    I have not tried Sitka, but M-65 is the BDU uniform used in the late 90's to early 2000's. Basic camo pattern that is quiet, zipper-free and easy to layer in. The price cannot be beat. I've tried name brands like mossy oak, realtree and others but I don't like wasting money on something that useless. Any hunter can us Sitka or others. Those brands are awesome if you have the money to plop down for that stuff. I'm just saying what I like to use. It all depends on terrain and animals you are hunting.
    Sent from my Z971 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, what makes sitka stand out on the mountain is their 4way stretch technology in the pants. Quiet is always good, but I have nothing against zippers and would rather have those than velcro

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. 1arrowshort

1arrowshort Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My merino base layers are Kuiu. zip off bottoms, (the best design for easy removal) a long and short sleeve t-shirt, 210 hoody. Underware and socks are a hodgepodge of brands, always looking at what's out there. Socks are darn tuff, smartwool, stoic, farm to feet, bidgedale. Undies are smartwool, stoic, exofficio, terramar. I like merino and wear it daily.

Your going to pay for any of the higher end gear/clothing brands. you think sitkas bad, look at some kryptek. If your only using for a couple weeks a year you'll be fine with sjk gear. Their clothing is comparable to others minus the price tag. I dont have any of there apparel but do have some camp gear, and like it.

Boots, its not so much the brand as much as fit. Kenetrek, crispi, scarpa, danner, Lowa, asolo, vasque, zamberlan, hanwag. All great boot makers. but if they dont fit, and are not broke in, you might as well get some kmart specials.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Novemberfest likes this.
  12. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bring a second set of gloves...
    [​IMG]

Novemberfest likes this.
  13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    big difference in the weather you will find the first two weeks of September vs the last two week. So have several layers is key. If you on a budget focus on non-camo non-hunting brands.

14. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weather will be different from early to late September or region....but this is what I have used on my last couple trips into the backcountry.

A lightweight merino top.
    A merino hoodie (I’ve used a FL Chama or a Halstead, both have their benefits)
    Merino bottoms
    Prana Zion pants

In my pack I’ll have my rain gear and also a puffy jacket. A beanie and gloves can also be found in the pack somewhere.

My main advice is don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be. On my first ever trip to Alaska I packed way too many clothes and when we returned to the truck a few days later to relocate I couldn’t get the excess stuff out of my pack fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novemberfest likes this.
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^this, but with the corrugate pants. I've used Danner or Salomon boots the past few years but go with whatever you'd be comfortable wearing to hike in.

Get miles in with your boots before hitting the mtns...especially if your hunting with a pack or bivy hunting.

Bails-UK and Novemberfest like this.
  16. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    that's a really good point, some of my favorite base layers is my colder weather running gear... As another example for rain gear I have a Patagonia rain jacket that I'll put up with any 'hunting rain jacket' - and it was like 1/3 of the price.... Granted it's grey but for amount of times I need a rain jacket, it worked great!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  17. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Kinda vague there buddy. The Rockies isn't a specific location. Which unit? What elevation? What dates? Remember, it's not the pattern you buy that matters, it's how you and your clothes perform. I like Sitka cuz I've gotten soaked on a trek in inferior clothes and know what hypothermia feels like. Never again. I tested my SG gear by jumping in my pool in winter and hiking the hills around my home...was virtually dry after 5.5 miles in a Sitka...that can be lifesaving IMHO. But between rokslide and the used Sitka facebook page I never pay retail. Not even close. Layering is key.